The grand ball

*Nellie's dream(Benjamin was mortified as he quickly fled the huge ballroom and went into the garden. Nellie followed quickly behind him, pissed off beyond belief. Surprisingly, they were actually pissed off at each other. They were both fifteen, and they'd never been into an argument before, not a real one at least. To make it even worse, they were at a public event. A grand ball at their friend Charlotte's house. Both of their parents were much closer to Charlotte's parents than either of them were to Charlotte though. Their argument was caused because Benjamin's very rich, and very snobby great aunt found out he didn't want to attend a University in a few years when he would turn eighteen. Instead he wanted to learn his father's trade and become a barber. Maybe even one day he'd own his own barber shop, just like his father did.

"Well thank goodness it's still three and a half years away, plenty of time to get rid of that dreadful and ridiculous idea." His great aunt began, she then went on to tell him how stupid and naïve he was being. She mentioned how if he ended up a barber like his father he'd never be anything except worthless, unsuccessful, and poor.

Benjamin was always very respectful, especially towards adults. And he wasn't one to talk back, so he just stood there and let his great aunt insult and humiliate him. And his parents didn't know what to say in response to these things, so they remained quiet and his mother gave Benjamin a reassuring look. He knew he'd only have to deal with his great aunt for another few hours until the ball ended and then she'd go home to her big fancy house and he'd go home with his parents.

Nellie, however, grew absolutely furious with what she was hearing. She didn't care about seeming polite and well mannered, and so she snapped.

"Benjamin is twice the person you'll ever be! He's going to be the best barber in all of London one day! And he doesn't need some stupid University education to get him there!"

"Nellie, it's okay calm down." Benjamin pleaded and tried to pull her away but she shrugged him off and continued.

"He's brilliant, and he'll become successful on his own! He'll prove you wrong, you'll see. If going to a University makes people as miserable and stuck up as you then I'm thrilled to know he won't be going anywhere near one."

"Nellie stop." Benjamin interrupted again, nervously.

"It's a shame you can't see how much potential he holds. Ya know for someone who attended a University, you're really not that bright." She finally concluded angrily.

Benjamin's great aunt stared at the young outspoken girl with a look of disgust and horror, she couldn't believe such a small pretty little thing could explode like that. His parents never looked more embarrassed, nor did they ever seem more disappointed in him, they were at a loss of words. It was enough to make Benjamin want to cry, and so he quickly walked away from the scene to get some fresh air and be able to breathe. Nellie glared once more at the great aunt before following Benjamin out into the garden.

"Wot the hell were you thinking?!" Benjamin yelled, still not fully believing everything that just happened. He was in shock at the way she snapped.

"Wot were you thinking, Benjamin?! Letting her speak to you like that! It was horrid!" Nellie yelled back, not understanding how he couldn't be on her side right now.

"No, wot was horrid was your ridiculous outburst! She's my mother's aunt, Nellie!"

"I don't give a damn if she's the Queen of bloody England! She can't speak of you like that!"

Benjamin paced back and forth in front of her and ran a hand through his hair "it wasn't a big deal Nellie. My God, you drew the attention of everyone in the damn room! I told you to stop why the hell didn't you just give it a rest? It didn't matter." He was calming down a bit, not raising his voice as much. But that didn't in any way lessen his annoyance towards her.