Chapter 3: She Doesn't Exist?

As we were speeding down the road we could hear sirens. Luckily it wasn't the police, but it was an ambulance. We followed behind it until we pulled up to the apartments. Jasper was standing outside, ruffling his hair. He gasped when he saw us.

"THERE YOU ARE!" He ran over and hugged me, then backed up realizing his mistake. I didn't know him.

"Hey, Jasp. Mr. Harmon, Abby. I'm an idiot.... I'm glad your safe!" I engulfed him into a hug and he hugged back.

"Glad you're back. Hey, Helena! Emily, the police think you can help them, but no one else is allowed inside..." I nodded and sighed before heading to the building.

As soon as I walked up the front stairs a cop stopped me.

"Sorry Mam, all residents must wait outside of the building for now." He held out his hand and I crossed my arms.

"I'm Emily, the girl who can help?" The officer looked up at me and pushed his sunglasses higher up on his face.

"A girl already told us that." I could see him roll his eyes under his heavily shaded glasses. "Unless you have any ID you're staying out here." I let out a huff and stomped back to the car.

"Why didn't they let you in?" Helena asked.

"I need my ID, but it's in the building. You had said you would pay so I didn't take my wallet with me." Helena nodded.

Jasper smiled as Helena closed her eyes for a moment, then produced my wallet from her back pocket.

She handed it to me. "Props for having worsper friends. The one that follows you is actually pretty helpful. Now go!" I took the wallet, then Helena's hand.

"You were with me when I got that call, you can back me up. Cmon." Helena started to follow as we left Jasper leaning against the car, waving and saying "Good luck!"

We got to the front of the building and I showed my ID to the officer. He snatched it from my hand before grumbling, "Go ahead."

He stopped Helena though, and I had to explain how she was with me and could help. He let her through.

When we got inside it was a commotion. There were cops and investigators everywhere, as well as paramedics, who looked like they arrived here for no reason. Were they looking for a body? But why? They should have picked it up and fled to the hospital by now...

A group of officers emerged from my room with notepads, then spotted me. They waved me and Helena over.

"Hey girls. Which one of you is Emily?" The shorter one asked, scribbling away at his notepad. I raised my hand and laughed a little. He nodded.

"Come with us for now. Your friend can wait until we ask more questions." I nodded and waved to Helena who had taken a step back and surveyed the place. The 2 police officers and I walked into my room.

My room was a mess. Stuff was everywhere. It had apparently been searched for any weapons, and they assured me that they had checked everyone else's as well. I frowned at the thought of grown men searching through a 23-year-old's underwear and bra drawer.

They gave me a quick walk through of what they were looking for and what they were told happened. They walked over to my room phone and said according to my call history the room that the accident happened in had called me here last, then another cell phone.

"Oh, that phone... well, I had just finished unpacking when the phone went off. All that was on the call was heavy breathing, and when I had said I could hear them breathing, they stopped. I waited awhile before hanging up because I figured it was just some kids."