Chapter 7: The Murderer Who Wasn't A Murderer

"I found a dead body." I heard. Brianne stopped in her tracks and turned around. I saw a shadow of a person until the lights flicked on.

A girl who looked about 12 stood there, eyeing down Brianne. She had long brown hair, braces, and glasses. She... was also a ghost.

Brianne dropped the knife. "You're lucky." She snarled, turning on her heel and walking out of the kitchen. I held my chest as my heart pounded.

"Thank you." I held a weak smile and the girl held one back.

"I mean... you killed my friend. But, Bri can be a bit mad sometimes. I'm Chey. Welcome to hide and seek."

I nodded. "Emily. Truce?"

Cheyanne held a huge smile. "Truce."

Back in the living room, all the kids were staring at the empty seat that I guessed was Jessica's and the blood in my hands. Bri rocked back and forth in her chair, not breaking contact with me the whole time. Chey soon floated in and sat next to the angered Brianne.

Mr. Harmon walked into the room. Man, I hated seeing him again. He looked the same, but his face a little shrunken in and his skin paler. Did he spend all of his time underground? Probably. He probably still did that horrendous artwork too.

"Welcome back, Emily. Everyone, she played the first ever game of hide and seek... and won. She's a pretty aggressive player when she has to be. I liked your creativity, and for that, Cheyanne will be assisting you."

I looked over to Chey, and she waved to me.

"We have a new player! She played in the second hide and seek game. Say hello to Helena!" Helena trotted in, looking at me sadly. She saw what I did to that poor girl, and I'm sure she wasn't happy with me.

"All good? Lights out." I unfolded the paper in my hands as I felt a familiar tug on my lips. This time I had a blank sheet, so I was going to need Cheyanne.

She flew over to me. "I know a good spot." She said, and I followed her. We went into the bathroom and into the shower.

"Really," I whispered. "This is a great hiding spot!" I said sarcastically. Chey turned the cold water knob, and a door opened on the wall. We stepped through, and she closed it back up.

"Soundproof!" She said, and I sat on the cold, metal floor.

"So... we just wait until we hear 'I found a dead body'?"

"Pretty much."

We sat there for few moments, talking about how I was here and how my first game was until I heard someone searching in the bathroom. My heart stopped.

I heard the shower curtain move, but then close up again. I exhaled and relaxed my body. Chey just sat the emotionless.

"How were you not scared?" I asked, baffled.

"I know a whole bunch of secret traps in this place, but no one knows about this one except you, me, and the old man that lived here. But he is in jail. As well as Jessica, but she's dead."

We sat for a couple of minutes, not talking. I played with my nails and Chey just... floated? I don't know.

When another person came into the bathroom, I didn't worry. Until I heard the shower knobs moving. The room was small, but I moved into a corner by the door. Chey turned invisible and stood there. Only her outline showing.

Jessica entered the room. A ghost Jessica. The door closed and Chey was visible again.

"H-how are you here?" I asked.

"Oh. I don't know actually. Thanks for killing me." Jessica crossed her arms and gave me a cold glare. She still had a stab wound to her chest and her left cheek was gone.

"I did what I had to do. I'm never like that, I don't know what came over me. Usually, I'm the one cornered, screaming." I shrugged and curled up into a ball.

"Whatever. You know that means Bri is going to do whatever is possible for you to die?" I nodded slowly, and the ghost Jessica sat on the ground. Or, floated on the ground?

After a while, someone called out that they found a dead body, and we exited the room. Once in the living room again, Bri had blood splattered on her shirt. Seeing me, she became enraged. I guessed she spent her time looking for me, but then killed a random person.

Seeing Jessica, she was surprised and waved her over. Chey and Jess left me as I sat in my chair.

Bri pulled out her phone, its brightness is all the way down, and it looked like she was texting someone. Well, if I would have known that you could use your phone, I would have called Jasper.

But just as I was about to pull my phone out, Abby appeared behind Bri.

"You know the rules. Texting someone? Someone named... Bryce. Very well." Abby snatched Bri's phone. She shoved it in her pocket, and out of a shadow emerged a confused boy.

"Bryce!" Bri shouted, engulfing him in a hug.

"Now, now. Doesn't mean his pretty little head won't die." Abby mocked, ruffling his hair.

"W-what" A confused Bryce muttered, and Bri grabbed his hand. He sat on the ground next to her chair.

Abby then entered the middle of the circle of chairs. "You all know the rules. If you're caught calling or texting someone that person joins the game. If they are already in it, they die. Bri clearly hasn't learned, as this is her 5th friend she's brought here today." Brianne crossed her arms and mumbled something inaudible.

"Okay. The game is just like hide and see, Bryce. But, you die. Simple. Light out." As my lips were sewn together, my paper was blank again. I got up out of my chair and ran into the room Amanda was in. I hadn't seen her lately, maybe she died?

But soon enough, a hurried Amanda ran into the room and his behind the door. But she wasn't waiting for a victim, her face showed fear. It looked like she was sweating a lot, and her heart was pounding.

When she spotted me she smiled. "You don't listen, do you." She asked, blood dripping from the corner of her mouth. "You're lucky I'm not the murderer." I just looked at her. She was talking, but her mouth wasn't moving. She laughed slowly before imitating me, sitting the way I was.

She cocked her head sideways as a scream was heard downstairs. She didn't break her glare at me. I closed my eyes, praying that when I opened them she would be gone.

But when I opened them, she was right in front of me, her eyes milky white, and her mouth bleeding even more. Her eyes were underlined with blood as well. She smiled and inched even closer. 

She wrapped a bony, pale hand around my neck

"Just because I'm not murderer doesn't mean I can't kill you."

^^^^^
Don't forget to vote and comment! 💕

~Abby