Chapter 17: Trapped

*Emily's POV*

Jessica turned quickly invisible at the sudden noise and Laurynn faced the entrance. I could smell the aroma of fresh air and dirt together.

As feet came into view, slowly lowering, I recognized the blue Nikes. I wiped my face with my dirt covered hand, stood up, and walked over to the descending Cheyanne.

"There you are you nub!" I said, surprised I was cheered up now. Chey fully came into view, and Jessica became visible again.

"Thank god you are alive!" Chey said, "If you were dead I was going to be gone for good." She let out a nervous laugh and I nodded.

"Uhm... Emily..." Laurynn started. She looked worried and kept glancing over to Cheyanne. Chey saw her and shrugged her off.

I trudged through the burnt red dirt towards Laurynn. It was only now when I noticed. Behind her was a shadow, but it was its own being. It moved around behind her and mocked me.

Laurynn pulled my arm close. I watched as the shadow whispered something into her ear, and Laurynn batted her hand back. The ghost dodged it and let out a small growl. It disappeared into a wisp and Laurynn relaxed.

"I don't think we can trust Cheyanne." She whispered worriedly. She glanced back to her as Chey looked around.

"What do you mean, I've been with her this whole time," I whispered back, pulling my arm from her grasp.

"Look at her." I shook my head and turned.

But Cheyanne did change. Her eyes were a glowing red and her translucent skin was black. She looked like the shadow that was behind Laurynn.

Through her, you could see a beating heart. It was red and moving, as usual, but she was a ghost, she shouldn't have one. It was black in some areas, too. I took a step away from her, kicking up dirt as I did.

Laurynn grabbed my arm and I spun back towards her. The shadow was back behind her, whispering to her, and she looked confused.

Finally, something came out as words.

"You can't trust her. You should never have been able too." Laurynn whispered. The shadow once again was angered, and its red eyes became brighter.

The shadow said something then left. It went back down the tunnel into the cluster of shadows and stayed there, watching.

Laurynn stood there silently, think over something. Then she shook her head and looked at me.

Then she stood still and looked over my shoulder. She froze and the small talk Jessica and Cheyanne were making stopped.

I heard someone clear their throat. I turned around.

It was Jasper, as Mr. Harmon. It was the same buff figure, but with Harmon's pale skin, dark eyes, and wrinkles.

"Finally. You don't know how much trouble you put me through, Emily. I've looked everywhere." He said, taking a step towards me.

"NO! YOU FORCED ME TO LOOK FOR-" Chey shouted before Jasper snapped his fingers and her ghostly figure fizzled out.

"Like I was saying, I've been worried. You can't leave, my dear. For this sake..." He looked to the wall of shadows behind me and my body suddenly became cold.

I felt my skin turn dark and my eyes hurt as they turned red. I gasped and fainted.

Emily... Emily wake up. You know this is for your own good. I'm here now, I will protect you. It's okay, you won't be hurt anymore.

Zachary's words echoed through my head, the words he used when I had come home late. I was drunk from a party and abused by a man who got mad that I didn't sleep with him.

But Zachary took care of me.

Emily, wake up. It's time to wake up.

I sat up and all around me were shadows. They laughed and smiled at me, pointing fingers and whispering in some language I didn't understand.

One of the shadows was the one who was behind Laurynn. He smiled at me viciously. I quickly scrambled and stood up, wiping the red dirt off the dress I was now wearing. It was white, clashing with my dark skin.

I saw my body sitting on the group a few feet in front of me. It was looking up to Laurynn, Jasper, Jessica, and Chey. It smiled and stood next to Jasper as Jessica had a sad face and Laurynn was confused.

My body looked to me and said something, then Jasper and Chey laughed.

I tried to run forward but I couldn't. I was stuck somehow. But now I was with the shadows, and couldn't pass the barrier.

^^^

And that's chapter 17 :3 Time to wrap this book up. Thanks to some comments, I have good ideas.

Sorry for slow updates!

~Abby