Chapter 16: Smile

*Brianne's POV*

Wet, curly hair clung to my face. My shoes clopped on the sidewalk and I pulled the hair from my forehead. I limped on my left leg, one that I had sprained a while ago.

I heard Jasper's desperate calls for me echoing from the complex. I kept walking. Rain poured harder onto my T-Shirt, soaking it, causing it to cling to my small waist.

"BRIANNE! GET BACK NOW!" Jasper yelled in his demonic voice. My mind told me to turn back, with a snap of his fingers I could dust if he wanted. But my legs continued to trudge through shallow puddles.

With an expected woosh Jasper stood in front of me, his eyes glowing red. His arms were folded and he stared at me. I folded my arms and looked up at him.

"Jasper. It's too late. I'm done. Fuck this. I never swore my soul to that stupid fucking book, and you can't make me." I shoved my way past him, knowing if anyone would have said what I said they would be dead by now.

But I was an ally to Jasper. He practically scooped me off the road. My sister locked me out of the house. I was knocked out by someone... and when I woke up I was in the city on the streets.

Beaten, weak, Jasper found me and cared for me.

I never knew it would cause all this to happen.

Jasper walked behind me, muttering something until his loud, booming voice came into earshot through the whistling wind.

"I can dump you right back where I found you, Brianne Lidwish." Jasper spat.

I froze, turning to him.

"Do it! I didn't want to be tortured like this anyways!" I screamed. I turned on my heel and stormed away in the... hehe... storm. A/N: It's storming rn this wasn't planned I had to walk home in the pouring rain I know how Brianne feels.

Jasper followed me. By this point, I was almost boiling.

"You're life has been better with me, Bri. Why don't you realize that? Your family was never there for you. You were stolen and abused. I gave you the love you never had. Why leave. It will be a mistake." Jasper set his hand on my shoulder and I pushed it off.

"I didn't realize it because it's not true. NOW LEAVE ME ALONE!" I shouted at him. I shoved Jasper to a puddle and ran away.

I heard Jasper half shout something... then give up and walk away. Water splashed up beneath me onto my leggings. I rounded a building corner and collapsed on the group in a wet mess.

The truth was everything Jasper said was true. I was better with Jasper. But I couldn't take the killing, pretending like I didn't care. Like I was this rebellious teenager who didn't care about anyone but herself. It wasn't true.

I heard heels clicking up the road and looked up. Families lined the streets, walking out of the movie theater together. I groaned and put my head back into my lap.

When I lifted my head I was sitting on a rusty old bed in a dark room. Jasper was standing in the corner, watching. I was back in the apartment. I groaned and laid down, staring up at the ceiling.

"I couldn't let you die, Brianne. We've become too close for me to do that to you." Jasper said. He exited the room and clicked the door shut, locking it after.

The howling wind beat against the walls as the blacked out windows made the day seem even scarier.

I got up and looked around. The room was vaguely familiarly decorated. A small TV in the corner, a blue shag rug, a precise crack in the wall. It was just like the room I slept in when I was with Jasper.

It reminded me of being happy for the first time in a while. And I hate to say it, but I couldn't help it.

I smiled.

^^^

Word Count: 666 cause why not make it specific.

Sorry for these kinda life before hide and seek story chapters. I'm working on the ending to this god-awfulish book. xD

There will probably be 20-25 chapters, so a short book. But I loved writing it, and maybe I'll write another! (Upon request)

I will have a lot of time over the summer, so I might write a book then. I'm not going to camp, and I'm currently looking for places to volunteer since I'm 13 and can't get a job.

But, I'll be wrapping this book up soon everyone! What do you think the ending will be???

~Abby