Chapter 15: Flashback

As I walked down the street, I felt cars rumbling down the road. Several sports cars quickly past and for a while it was silent. An old car soon shuttered past, wheezing and sputtering, as if it was on its last leg.

"Cool car!" Little Simon sang out. He waved to the driver, who was too busy with the road to notice him. Simon continued to watch the car until it made a left turn and disappeared behind a building.

I felt a hand intertwined with mine leave my hand and pick Simon up. He giggled as Zachary held him close to his chest.

"Very cool car. Maybe we can go look at them one day." Zach said, looking to me. I shook my head, smiling. He had always wanted to go to a car show. He looked back to Simon as the little boy let out a squeal.

"YAY!" He cheered. He made car noises out of his mouth "Vroom Vroom!"

Another car now rolled down the street. It was a new kind, and it was going unusually slow. The driver kept looking at us and started going even slower. I seemed to be the only one out of the three of us who noticed.

As Simon and Zach babbled away to each other, I tugged on Zach's sleeve.

"Zac-" But it was too late. I watched as the driver quickly pulled out a gun and pointed it to us.

BOM. BOM. BOM.

I heard Simon scream and watched as the two fell to the ground. The car on the street screeched and drove away.

"NO! ZACH" I watched as a screaming Simon wormed around on the ground. I scooped him into my arms and sat on the hot pavement. Zach's breathing was slow and I saw his hand was covering his chest. Blood bubbled up and stained his shirt.

"Oh no no no..." I muttered. Simon kept screaming.

"MOMMY! MOMMY MY TUMMY! MOOOMMMYY!" I cried as the little one screamed for help I could not provide. I turned my attention to a weak Zachary.

"Zach, be strong. It's going to be okay, we are going to have the family we always wanted" I sputtered in between tears. I pulled off the scarf I had on and handed it to Zach. He put it over his bullet wound and held it there.

Zachary was never one to cry, but now he was. Tears streamed down his face, and I cried even more. I pulled my cellphone out of my pocket and shakily dialed 911.

I remember talking on the phone, then hearing the wails of sirens in the distance. Simon was crying, clutching to my chest, and I watched as Zachary's head fell limp.

"You won't die on me, Zach. We can do this." I held his hand. It was cold as ice.

"I don't know. I love you, Emily." Zach muttered.

I cried as his head fell limp and his freezing hand fell out of mine.

*~*

My head hurt and my face felt wet. My eyes were closed and I couldn't move, but I heard voices.

"Oh no. Why was she crying..." Laurynn asked. I could tell it was her 18-year-old voice.

"Flashback... the shadows. They bring memories back to people, the sad ones. They try to make them kill themselves, to hurt themselves." Jessica said quietly.

"Like The Lovely Suicide Children..." Laurynn whispered. (AN: Hehehe...)

"Almost..."

My eyes blinked open slowly. Jessica was sitting to the left of me and Laurynn to the right.

"Wha-what happened..." I muttered. I wiped a tear from my face and sniffled.

"You blacked out and had a flashback. It's okay, we are here, right with you." Jessica said. I nodded.

"Do you want to tell us what the flashback was about. Do you think it will make you feel better?" Laurynn asked quietly.

I inhaled sharply and told them what happened. I was with my boyfriend and son, and there was a drive-by. Zach died on the street and Simon at the hospital. He wasn't able to be saved.

Laurynn pulled me into a hug and squeezed my shoulders.

"It's okay. We all have had something bad happen to us. We are both with you." Jessica said. I took a deep breath and nodded.

We sat in silence for a while until the ground above us started to rumble. Someone was coming down.

^^^

JUST A FILLER! 

Word Count: 713

What did you think about the chapter?

~Abby