Chapter 23: Burn

*Brianne's POV*

I jumped and let Harmon storm into the building, Jessica lowered in the corner. Harmon went straight for her and didn't even see me.

"I said, WHERE IS SHE." He practically screamed, lifting up Jess by the collar of her shirt, dragging her out of the room. I ran to Cheyanne and pulled her away.

"What the hell!" She shouted, and I shushed her.

"We found her here, looking through bookcases. We made her go back to the mansion just now. You must have been late. I'm so sorry. But only you go, we don't need Harmon getting any angrier." I whisper-shouted. Cheyanne slowly nodded her head and closed her eyes, then disappeared.

*Helena's POV*

As soon as I heard the door slam I teleported to the Mansion. I stood under the staircase and waited for Chey to come through, calling my name. I took a step further in and knocked something over. It was the lighter fluid I hid when Emily found me.

As I was setting it back up I heard a loud 'WOOSH' and heard feet land on the floor. Dust on the hallway tile scattered about in the wind, and I heard light footsteps.

"Helena... you bad girl! What makes you think you can leave?" Cheyanne said in a sing-song voice. She soon came slowly walking past the closet, her black glowing brighter than the small red glow on the left side of her chest. When she was in front of me I jumped out and plunged my knife into her back and into her heart.

She screamed in agony and put her hand to her heart, pulling it out.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!" She screamed and stared in horror at her heart as I watched her hold a slowly beating heart in her hand, which was slowly glowing less and less, and Cheyanne's body turning to dirt, from the head down.

"You will never win. We will always be here." Chey whispered before her mouth crumpled to dirt onto the floor, her whole body soon following after. I sighed in relief and looked at the knife. It was glistening red. I looked back up to see Cheyanne staring at me, a smile on her face. She threw her head back and laughed, and I stood there frozen... I, I just killed her.

"Nice try, Helena. I'm smarter than that!" She teleported in front of me in a whiff of smoke and stood right in front of me. Her dark black hair was messy, and she had deep cut's along her chest. She smiled.

Now, THIS Cheyanne didn't have black pupils

Now, THIS Cheyanne didn't have black pupils. The other was a dummy.

She quickly grabbed the knife out of my frozen hand and pointed it to me. "You know it's never that easy when you're facing a demon." She looked to the knife and ran her finger along it, drawing a black goo from her finger tip. She lifted her finger up and dragged the gooey 'blood' across the bridge of my nose. She drew her finger away and licked off the goo remaining.

"How can you kill me when I don't have a life source but the book. And you don't know where it is!" She said mockingly as if she just hid my Halloween candy. I rolled my eyes and she swiftly slammed me against a wall.

"You can't defeat me. You can't defeat Harmon. He will always come back." She widened her smile. "3 years today. They day you will all perish" She lifted the knife right above my heart, and I closed my eyes.

She screamed.

I heard a loud thud and the knife clatter to the ground. Behind her was a tired and scared Emily, holding a lighter to the book. Chey moaned in agony as the book started to engulf in flames.

"WAIT!" I screamed and grabbed the book, I threw it on the ground and stomped out the flames to reveal a half burnt page on the back story of the book.

"What are you doing!" Emily shouted, but Cheyanne was up and grabbed her mouth, holding the knife by her throat. Emily gasped and looked warily down to the knife.

"You should have let the book burn, Helena. Would get rid of me." She smirked as I held the book in my shaky hand, Emily's eyes pleading for help.

"No... you're trying to trick me. I've been dead before, I know the rules of this book, of the rings." I stared into Cheyanne's eyes. "If I burned the book all the demons released today will forever be on Earth. Mr. Harmon would not return to the book." I flipped through the book, looking for the page on shadows.

"Someone's been studying, I see," Chey said, pulling the knife closer to Emily's throat.

"Burn the book and I will let Emily live."

"No, we would still have Harmon in our way."

Emily let out a noise as the knife was partially cutting her.

"We can defeat him without the book Helena..." Emily said weakly.

"Listen to your friend."

I kept flipping through the book. I was at the part on Spirits, the Shadows were in here somewhere.

Chey forced the knife deeper, a trickle of blood formed.

"Helena..." Emily whispered in pain, Cheyanne's smile growing wider.

I kept flipping. Then I found it. Emily cried out in pain as more blood formed. I held the page and faced Cheyanne, her face turning blank.

"We can get rid of you without burning the book." I ripped out the page and Chey jerked in pain, Emily crying out and collapsing on the ground. Chey dropped the knife and faced me.

I grabbed the lighter, lit it, and moved it toward the page on reborn Shadows, one that Chey was.

"No.. please don't," Chey said with puppy dog eyes.

"Go back where you belong," I said roughly, lighting the page on fire. Cheyanne collapsed and writhed in pain, screaming, turning to dirt.

I dropped the burning page and ran to Emily. When Chey let go she partially dug the knife into Emily's neck. Emily was passed out, not breathing, and losing a lot of blood.

"Not now.." I put my hand on the cut and used the ring to make it heal. As it healed, I looked over to see a pile of dirt with a black and red heart beating in the middle. Once Emily was healed and breathing, I slid her ring off and put it on my finger. Good, I have two of the rings, one left to go. I let Emily be and threw the heart on the pile of books and pushed the dirt over. I grabbed Emily, hoisted her on my shoulder, and grabbed the book. I took them both outside, laid Emily on the grass, but I held the book. I went back inside to do what needed to be done.

Grabbing the lighter fluid I had for the books from the closet, I dumped it on the dirt and heart, then on the wood walls, a trail leading out the door opening.

I held the lighter in my hand and looked up at the old mansion. I took in a deep breath, flicked on the lighter, and led it down to the gasoline.

I took a step back and watched the fire trail down into the house, burning the dirt, the heart, and the walls, slowly engulfing the building in flames. I could have sworn I heard screams, but I didn't listen. I took in the sweet smell of burning wood, and exhaled, knowing this would all be over soon.

I stood and watched until the whole mansion was engulfed in flames, the tall, dry grass around it, turning to flames, before glancing back at the book in my hands. I let out a breath and picked up Emily throwing her over my shoulder. I took one last look at the mansion, then closed my eyes.

^^^

Yay! Another chapter complete.

FINAAALYYYY

Like I said in my author's note I'm really sorry, but school is starting back up so I will be working on this book and the next one!

No promises though...

~Abby