Covers and Carpets

• Dedicated to Zach Beeken

CHAPTER 27

Covers and Carpets

"If you dream it, you can do it." ~Walt Disney

After the concert in Chicago, we all got on the bus and got settled. We were driving out to California, which would take about 2 days. There were only about 10 shows left. As sad as I was, I was also excited to take on the new adventures that God had planned for me.

"I'm bored," Andrew said a few minutes later.

"Well, it's a bus. There's not much to do," Colton said.

"I know what we could do!" I said.

"What?" Andrew asked, perking up.

"Well, I've been talking to some of your fans and some of my fans and they keep asking me when we're doing a cover together. And we have like 2 days, so why not?"

"Sounds good to me," Andrew said. "What song are we going to do?"

"Hmm..." I picked up my phone and unlocked it. I clicked on iTunes and started scrolling through my library. Zach came up behind me and was searching for one, too.

"Did I just see Restless Road on your phone?" he asked, taking my phone from me and holding it up where I couldn't reach.

"Zaaach, give it back!" I said while trying to jump up to reach it.

"It is Restless Road!" he said handing it back to me. "That's cute." I glared at him, then continued scrolling.

"Ooh, I found one," I said.

Later that night, we had the song rehearsed and were ready to upload. I set up my phone and got it set to record. Colton started playing the guitar and we were ready.

Straight off the plane to a new hotel, just touched down, you could never tell. Big house party with a crowded kitchen, people talk shh..., but we don't listen. Tell me that I'm wrong, but I do what I please. Way too many people in the Addison Lee. Now, I'm at the age when I know what I need, oh, woah.

Midnight memories, oh. Baby, you and me stumbling in the street, singing, singing, singing, singing. Midnight memories, oh, anywhere we go, never say no, just do it, do it, do it, do it.

5 foot something with the skinny jeans, don't look back, baby, follow me. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm finding my way. Same old shh.., but a different day. Tell me that I'm wrong, but I do what I please. Way too many people in the Addison Lee. Now, I'm at the age when I know what I need, oh, woah.

Midnight memories, oh. Baby, you and me stumbling in the street, singing, singing, singing, singing. Midnight memories, oh, anywhere we go, never say no, just do it, do it, do it, do it.

You and me and all our friends, I don't care how much we spend. Baby, this is what the night is for. I know nothing's making sense, for tonight let's just pretend. I don't wanna stop so give me more....

Midnight memories, oh. Baby, you and me stumbling in the street, singing, singing, singing, singing. Midnight memories, oh, anywhere we go, never say no, just do it, do it, do it, do it.

We finished the video and uploaded it, waiting to see what kind of response it would get. Suddenly, my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Katie, it's John. I just wanted to let you know that tomorrow night you will be going to the premiere of The Fault In Our Stars with the boys. We'll be waiting at the hotel for you."

"You're kidding."

"Nope!" he said, laughing. "See you then!" I hung up the phone, shocked.

"What?" Zach asked.

"We're going to The Fault in Our Stars premiere. This is insane! I get to see my favorite book in movie form and I might even get to meet Shailene Woodley or Ansel Elgort!"

"Who're they?" he asked.

"The main characters... Augustus and Hazel.."

"Oh," he said. "I knew we were going to a movie premiere, but I didn't know what movie it was."

"I'm so excited!" I said. "Oh, my gosh, I'm meeting Shailene and Ansel.... What am I supposed to wear?! Do you think they know who I am?! Oh, man, this is stressful.."

"I'm sure John has it all planned out," Andrew said. "It's your first movie premiere, he's not gonna just leave you on your own."

"That's true," I said. The rest of the bus ride consisted of me freaking out some more and the boys getting annoyed with me. Hey, I couldn't help it! I was meeting my favorite people of all time. Well, favorite actors.

As soon as we got to the hotel, I was whisked away by John and Lindsey. I didn't even have time to say goodbye to Zach. They introduced me to my new stylist, Hannah. She was tall, blonde, and really pretty. She kind of reminded me of a younger version of Taylor Swift.

I was given a dress and told to go change. I slipped it on and looked at myself in the mirror. It was gorgeous! The dress was pink with silver rhinestones on the top. A pink bow separated the rhinestones from the rest of the dress.

"It's perfect," I said stepping out of the room. Hannah put my hair in loose curls and put on my makeup. She finished off the look with a silver heart necklace.

"I think you're ready," she said, smiling. "Go on downstairs. Restless Road is already waiting for you. You're going to go to the premiere together." I walked out the door and into the elevator. As soon as the doors opened, I walked over to where the boys were standing.

"Wow," Andrew said.

"Wow, yourself!" I said. They were all wearing matching tuxedos. It looked preeeetty great.

Zach took my hand and we walked to the limo. "You look so gorgeous," he whispered as I was getting in.

"Not as gorgeous as you," I said.

"I'm a guy, I can't be gorgeous," he said laughing.

"Yes, you can! I say it all the time!"

"Hey, I wouldn't complain about being called gorgeous," Colton piped in.

"Thank you. At least someone agrees with me." A few minutes later, we arrived at the premiere. I followed Restless Road out of the limo and walked out onto the red carpet.

It was a dream come true.