Days Like This

--------------------------

The Next Day, Phoenix High, 10:30 a.m.

As they walked through the crowded hallways, Ryan hunched over, Alex by his side. They heard students snicker everywhere they turned, and then the sound of Ryan crashing into the hurdle quickly followed. Again and again and again. 

" It's not even that funny. " Ryan hid his face with his gray hoodie.

SLAM! SLAM! SLAM!

" Hey, it's the celebrity and his number-one groupie! " Prince wrapped his arms around the two and asked, " How's the fame been treating ya- "

" Piss off. " Ryan shoved Prince away, but the bully laughed.

"Careful. You don't wanna get a viral beatdown next.  " Prince pushed Ryan back, making Ryan fall to the ground.

"Yeah, I think he understands- " Alex tried to shield his friend.

"No, I don't. " Ryan clenched his fists, " Don't touch me again or I'll-"

Before he could finish, Prince shoved Alex aside and grabbed Ryan by his collar. The sound of metal echoed through the halls as Prince slammed Ryan into the lockers behind them. Ryan suddenly felt his heart thump; his breaths became rapid while his eyes widened.

"You'll what? Hit me?" Prince's eyes burned with fury as Ryan couldn't muster any words, " That's what I thought. " 

"Hey, enough! " A teacher called out from down the hall.

"You always got someone to save your ass, huh? "Prince laughed as he tossed Ryan to the side, making him bash the back of his head on the water fountain, "Oops."

BAM!

Alex winced as he watched his best friend crash into the water fountain. Ryan groaned, holding the back of his head, his brain felt even more rattled than before.

" You okay? " Alex extended his arm to help him up, "You gotta stop picking fights you can't win."

"And let them treat us like crap in exchange? I'll pass. " Ryan ignored his friend's assistance and got up on his own.

"I mean...I understand but, like, he's strong and we're-"

"I get it. " Ryan huffed.

" Sorry. " Alex winced as he tried to look for something to change the topic, "Oh, look, it's Emma. "

"You guys okay? " Emma asked as she approached them.

"Never been better. " Ryan sniffled, feeling a slight burning in his nostrils, "How's your day going?"

"Stressing the hell out, I just got accepted for my internship earlier. " Emma replied.

"Oh really? Us too. " Alex chimed in, "I'm gonna be working at Premier Optical. Sure, I'll probably be sorting papers and doing desk work but hey, it's one step closer to being an optician. "

"Good for you. " Emma chuckled, "And what about you, Ryan?"

"Neon Labs." Ryan groaned.

" Wait, huh? " Emma's eyes went wide, " I'm going there too! "

" Oh? Well, that's cool. " Ryan smiled, " Guess we'll be sorting papers together. "

"Y-yeah.." Emma froze for a moment, "Um, well, there's the whole orientation thing this afternoon. Wanna walk there together? We can get ice cream afterwards. "

"You know? I'm not opposed to that. " Ryan smiled and shook her hand, "See you after school. "

--------------------------