Eight

Ashley's POV

I was sitting in my living room, reading a book, having a light morning for myself when I heard the doorbell. I frowned as I wasn't really expecting any guests or visitors. My weekends are generally quiet and uneventful.

I got up and saw from the peephole. Liam was standing outside. I opened the door and gave him a quick hug. He came in and went straight to the fridge to get himself something to drink.

"What are you doing here? You didn't tell me you were coming over."

He gulped a long sip and spoke "I wasn't coming over to meet you. I'm meeting a friend, an acquaintance more likely."

I sat down and so did he "What friend? I didn't know you had a friend living here."

"I don't, he just moved. You remember how I was looking for an architect to design my psychiatrist wing and cancer wing in that little space we've behind the hospital to expand." I nodded. He has been whining about it for months "And you know I couldn't find anyone who was willing to try. Every architect I met said the space is too small or he'll have to take space from the hospital. So, I met this guy, in an unexpected place but I causally discussed it with him and he gave me an excellent solution. His design fit both the wards perfectly."

"So you hired him. Got it. What is it with you visiting a friend here? Or are you telling me this because Jenny told you I'm looking for a architect myself?"

"No. No. Jenny said you found one but anyway, he was looking for a new place so I suggested him this building and the one near the lamp post but he got this one earlier. He moved a few days ago. I'm visiting him"

"So you're here to drop a house warming gift?"

His eyebrows furrowed "No. I'm just visiting. Seeing if he's all set up and everything."

I nodded but didn't say anything. We sat quietly until I spoke again "is your guy that good? Cause I need an architect so badly."

"What happened to the one you hired yesterday? Not good?"

"He's good but he can't seem to relate to my vision as much as I would want. I've to talk to him too much."

He got up and I looked up "Why don't you come with me? I can introduce you and you can see for yourself."

"No. No. It'll be weird. Just dropping by like that when I haven't even introduce myself considering he moved in my building."

"Oh relax, it's no biggie. Guys don't think this much. We're cool people"

I got up "are you sure?"

"Yes, positive. Now come"

I locked my door behind and followed Liam. The friend, he was talking about is practically my neighbor and yet I never met him but in his defense I don't care about my neighbors that much. I don't like to make the polite small talk.

His door was slightly open so we entered. He was bend over some furniture he was trying to build, or something. He was very occupied to notice anyone's presence.

Liam took a step forward and blocked my view. I looked around, there were boxes everywhere. Most of them were half unpacked. The place was a mess.

"Hey, what's up?" Liam said to the guy while my eyes wander around everywhere.

"Oh, hey, Liam. Good to see you." I heard the guy's voice and stood frozen. I know that voice so clearly. I can identify that voice anywhere.

"How's the move going?" Liam asked as I hide behind him.