Fifty Three

Ashley's POV

Waking up wasn't difficult at all considering I spend the entire night looking at my phone and waiting for David to call. He never called neither did he return home. I did however get a message from Layla informing me that David was staying with her.

I decided it would be best if I explain myself. I was awful to David and I completely ruined his proposal. It was my mistake and I should own up to it rather than hiding.

I got out of the dress I was wearing last night and took a quick shower. I kept thinking about the events that unfold. The cold water helps me get rid of all the stress and I was more determined now. I got dressed in a tank top and a pair of jeans and took off to see David.

The drive didn't help. It made me more tense and anxious. I felt at loss again. I was terrified of how he would react to the things I've to say.

I parked my car in front of Layla's house and stepped out. I took a deep breath and rang the bell. After some seconds of wait, Layla opened the door and looked at me intensely. She smiled and nodded at me. I knew she was aware of what had happened but thankfully she didn't say anything to me.

"He's in the guest room" she pointed towards the room and left. I took a deep breath and walked towards it.

I softly knocked on the door and waited for his response. He groaned from the other side "Not now Layla. Later, please"

I could sense his disorientated self. I cleared my throat and spoke "It's me" I was barely audible but I knew he heard it because I heard the door unlock.

With a few seconds to gather me, I entered his room. He was sitting on his bed but wasn't looking at me. He was still in yesterday's clothes which meant he didn't sleep either.

I sat down next to him. It was so strange, the silence was so uncomfortable and unbecoming.

"Hi.," I whispered.

His lips twitch forming a smile I think, I wasn't sure. He looked up and then he turned to face me. He took my hands in his and I finally relaxed a little bit.

"I'm sorry," he said

I pulled away "What?"

"I said I'm sorry" he frowned at my reaction

"Why? Why are you sorry?"

"Because I was being selfish. I wanted the proposal and the moment to be so special that I went all out. I completely overlooked the fact that you've had all of it and you don't have a pleasant experience. It was wrong of me to just ambush you. I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life-"

"Please stop it"

He tried holding my hand again but I didn't let him. I was so guilty and him being understanding didn't help the cause.

"You're making this so difficult for me. I can't do this" I said

"What are you talking about?" He came closer to me. "Ashley, look at me" he smiled and put his lips on mine. It was an assurance kiss, I knew that but for me, it felt like the calm before the storm hits and I lose everything. I kissed him back with equal passion. I wanted to hold onto this feeling for as long as I can. "Whatever it is, I love you, remember that?"

"I love you too. It is important that you remember it more than I do."

"Enough with the puzzles. What's happening?"

"I want you to come with me. There's something that needs to be done."

"Okay then, let's go."