Forty

Ashley's POV

I was full from the delicious breakfast we had. The pancakes were just heaven. We entered but I heard some faint voices so I stood at the hallway. I held David's hand asking him to be careful and see what's what first.

We took a few steps to get a clearer view. It was Serena. She was talking to a man. I know that man, I can tell who it was anywhere. His face is awfully familiar. It was David's Dad.

I looked at David who was surprised and looked a little pale. This is definitely difficult for him. We didn't move or make any sound. I felt bad about eavesdropping on Serena but I didn't know what else to do.

"I've been calling for days now. It's been months now. How long is it going to take for you to answer my simple request?" David's dad said.

"I told you I needed time. Also, this is my house, you shouldn't be here. I'm sure your wife won't approve of it."

"Okay, keep her out of this. I get you're angry at me and you got every right to be but just, keep my wife out this conversation. It isn't about her."

Serena sighed. "Yeah. I'm sorry. Look, I understand but I need time and I need a way to-"

"They're my kids, Serena. It has been years. I can't take it anymore. I know what happened between us is unfortunate but you gotta help me out here. My kids don't even know me. You've no idea how miserable that makes me."

"Cade, this isn't an ideal situation. What happened between is was unfortunate and unforgettable. I can't just forget everything, forgive you and let you in. You made your choices, now I need time to make mine."

"I've been patient a really long time and I know I made a mistake. I've taken that responsibility but you've to meet me half way. I need to know my kids, atleast have a chance to make things right. They're my children. Can't you understand this?" David's dad pleaded. It was sad. He look genuinely remorseful. 

"She can't understand because she doesn't have to. We never had a father, we don't want it now. You can leave." David spoke in a cold yet calm voice. It was scary.

"David, son-"

"You don't get to call me that. We've no relation with each other. Look, I don't care what you talked to my mom about but you're not getting in any second chances here."

Cade looked so sad. Serena was hurting too. This was such an inopportune situation.

"I can never justified what happened but if you would just hear me out you would-"

"Did you not understand what I just said?" David cut him off again. "I don't care. I don't give a damn about any explaination you've to offer me. You left and didn't look back so you don't get to come here and tell me some crappy story as to why you did what you did. I want you out of this house or else I'll throw you out myself."

"David." Serena shouted but David just kept glaring at his father. Cade finally gave in. He sighed and left eventually. He had alot of things to say, I could tell but it all went unheard. I've never seen David this angry. He was like a completely different person in that moment.

"This is why you wanted us to come home so badly? Plastering Layla to get down her with the kids? How could you! That man destroyed our family, he destroyed you and yet here we are, getting swept up in his nonsense." David snapped at Serena as soon as his father left.

"You do not talk to me like that. I'm your mother. I understand what you're going through but that is no excuse to treat me like a-"

"You cannot be serious. You were going to ambush me with that man and you're the one who gets to play the victim. You didn't even ask us if we wanted to see that man again." David's tone was too loud. Serena was hurting. It is difficult to hear your kind talk to you like that.