Forty Seven

Ashley's POV

"You're telling me you can't do anything about his request?" I asked Mr. Shah, my lawyer.

"I tried but there's nothing we can do."

"He already cut a deal, why the hell are they even considering parole?" I was agitated by the sheer impossibility of the situation.

"Would you please just sit and breathe. We're looking into it."

I sat down and Mr. Shah hand me some legal documents. It had my name and Aaron's name.

"What is it? Tell me" I asked Mr. Shah.

"Mr Morris's lawyer drew this. It states that if he's grant parole, he'll not bother you in any way. He won't come near you or anybody you know. He'll vanish from your life and not cause you any kind of inconvenience."

"You know this is crap, right? Tell me you know that" I snapped at my lawyer.

"Ms. Walker-"

"If this is the case, if he really wants to leave me alone then why the hell does he wanna see me?" I was yelling at the one person who can help me in this situation.

Liam grabbed me and held my shoulders "you need to calm down. We're here to help, you know that. If you don't want to see him, don't. If you don't want to sign the papers, don't. We'll think of something else."

I sighed and picked up the papers "So basically this is the only security I've from him?"

"Ms. Walker, there is chance he won't be given parole. If he does, yes, this is ironclad. It'll certainly protect you from him."

"So, these paper decide my fate."

"Oh. Sorry." I immediately identified the voice. "I didn't know you had company. I'm so sorry."

"Uh. David" Liam hesitated.

I didn't know if he heard anything or knew what was happening but it was enough for my brain to imagine the worst possible situation.

I kept starring at him but couldn't speak up. His eyes were searching for something but I was stuck.

All of a sudden I couldn't breathe in my very spacious office. I felt suffocated. It was as if every body in that office took up my oxygen. My brain kept imagining every worst possible scenario of how David would react when he would find out that my lying filthy ex husband is in jail and I'm the one who put him in there.

I rushed out of that room and went straight to the washroom. I checked if someone in there. It was empty, I locked the door and fell on the ground. I removed my heals and pulled my knees together. I started counting backwards from hundred. My therapist once told me that if I can't think of any way to calm myself I should start counting backwards, it'll distract me from the current situation and help me think about something else.

I entered the house and saw Aaron sitting on the couch and drinking his Scotch. I didn't know he would be home early. I was hoping to come home before he does so I don't have to answer his questions.

I put my keys in the bowl and tried to make my way to the room without getting noticed but it was failed attempt.

"Where were you?" Aaron asked putting his glass down and getting up to face me.

"Uh. I went meet Jenny. She wanted to talk."

"Right. Jenny."

I nodded and start to leave when he interrupted again. "You know what I hate most in this world, when my lovely wife lies to me. It is unacceptable, honestly."