Fifty Two

Ashley's POV

"You really don't wanna come?" I asked

David rolled his eyes before returning his focus on the stupid game.

"I don't want to go alone"

"Would you relax? It's Liam's hospital inauguration, it's a family thingy. You won't be alone."

"Don't you think the man who helped build that hospital should be there too. Moreover, it's a gala kind of party. I should have a date"

He paused his game "you're trying to guilt me. That's not fair. We've already discussed this, at length."

I didn't want to argue anymore, it would all be waste anyway. I sat quietly while he prepared something for him to eat. Liam's hospital wing is finally completed and he's throwing a fund raiser type of thing to attract donors for his hospital.

David told me weeks ago that he doesn't want to come, he says he has work to do but I don't believe him. I've tried to convince him to come along but he won't agree.

"Hey?" He shook me "you zoned out"

"What?" I snapped. I was upset since I had no date.

"I get it. You're upset but come on, don't ruin your mood. I've got a gift for you"

"Don't need it"

"So, you don't want it?" I shake my head no "then I can give it to Zara?"

"Really? Want to play that game" I glared at him.

"Please go and check it out. It's a peace offering."

I went to the room and saw the box lying there, waiting for me. I smiled at the sweet gesture and opened the box. It was simple yet beautiful red gown. I loved it, it was according to my taste.

"You liked it? I thought of you the moment I saw it" David said as soon as I came out of the room.

"It is beautiful." I kissed him gently.

"Am I forgiven?"

"Stay of execution"

He chuckled "I'll take that"

"I know you're well aware why David isn't coming today. I'm sure you know the reason" I told Liam who was busy rechecking everything for tonight. It is obviously a big thing for him and he doesn't want anything to go wrong.

He shrugged causally and returned on working.

I groaned and snatched Liam's papers "What is wrong with you? Why wouldn't you tell me if you know it?" I was helping him with the final guest list for the event.

He snatched back his papers "I don't know. He's bailing on me too. I tried to convince considering I need him there more than you but he won't listen"

I shook my head "it is strange of him"

"Would you relax? He said it is something with his work then it must be his work. Stop overthinking"

I nodded and gave him a little perk on his cheek "I've always had your back Liam. Don't worry, tonight will be a blast"

I showered and got dressed for the event. I slipped into my new dress and did my make up. The dress was dressy enough so I didn't do much of a makeup. I put on my heels and came out.

David was talking on phone when I entered the living room. He noticed my presence and turned to face me. His eyes went wide and his phone slipped from his hand. I chuckled and made my way to stand in front of me.