Thirty Six

Ashley's POV

I was typing an important mail when Jenny barged into my office with a grin on her face.

"You work for me, you gotta knock."

"Yes. Right. Next time. I heard some fantastic news."

I narrowed my eyes. I wasn't having a good feeling about this something "What?"

"You're going on a date tonight, isn't it?"

"Wha-who told you that?"

She put her hand on the chest and pretended to be heart "I'm hurt you didn't tell me. We're friends."

"I didn't want to make a thing out of it. Who sold me out?"

"Nobody. I eavesdropped on Liam and David's conversation. Later I just bullied Liam into confirming."

"You eavesdropped and bullied Liam? Unbelievable."

"What? I married him. I've had his babies. I get that right. Anyway, that's not why I barged in. I wanted to tell you I got you a dress for your date tonight."

"I've dresses. I'll pick something from it."

"No, for all I know you'll go in pantsuit. Look, it is not too fancy or out of your comfort zone. If you don't like it, wear something else."

I sighed "fine. Okay"

She turned around and spoke "Have fun, Ash!" And winked at me.

It was date night and I was so nervous. I haven't been on a date in so long let alone with a guy whom I genuinely like. My nerves were tingling by the thought of it.

I couldn't help but overthink. David is so charming and I'm sure he has been on dates with many beautiful women who are good conversationalist, I'm not that. I can't even think about things we've in common.

I looked again at the mirror. I liked the dress Jenny selected for me. It was simple yet cute blue dress. I applied a little makeup and let my hair fall as they may. I didn't want to overdo. I didn't want to give the impression that I'm desperate or something.

After getting dressed, I was waiting for David and pacing at the same time. I have been out of the game for so long I was blanking as to how I'm supposed to behave on a date. I couldn't think of any topic to talk about, or any story that was funny enough for a date. I was starting to have a panic attack thinking how I was gonna screw this up. Luckily, the door bell rang on time.

I opened the door for David. He was dressed in a white pants with a navy blue shirt and sleeves rolled up looking absolutely amazing. I smiled at him. He looked relax and calm, I was complete mess.

His eyes kept staring at me which made me conscious and anxious. I wanted to look good tonight but is it too causal? Or too fancy? Was I supposed to wear jeans and t-shirt? Does he not like how I look? Oh G-

"You look beautiful" that one sentence calm all my nerves. The melody of his voice and his soothing face put my tension to rest. I was still nervous but I at least I knew he liked my dress.

I smiled, a genuine smile "Thank you"

He took to a beautiful restaurant. It wasn't too fancy or too causal. It was perfect.

The waiter came in and took our respective orders.

"Make sure there is no pine nuts in her dish. She's allergic"

"How did you know that?" I asked as soon the waiter left.

"I-I- observed when I was having dinner at your parent's place."