Forty Eight

Ashley's POV

"Mom, you're pacing. It is making me tense. I know it's alot to process."

"I'm sorry, sweetie. This sucks. I don't understand. He already cut a deal. Why the hell does he need parole?"

"He's been a model citizen."

"That's bullshit. You know that. Anyway, what does David think?"

"I haven't told him yet"

"You haven't told him about the parole or you haven't told him about your ex-husband being in prison."

"Neither" I said quietly. I was ashamed myself. "I think I'll meet Aaron and I'm going to take David with me."

"Are you sure about it? It could be overwhelming."

"It is all overwhelming and complicated but how long do you think I can hide out? I can't keep living like this. It is suffocating me, mom. I see the happiness but I'm always too afraid to touch it or feel it entirely. I'm always a step short because I'm looking over my shoulder, worried that my past would pop up. David and I have known each other for almost a year now and yet until yesterday he didn't even knew my ex-husband's name. If I'm ever going to be happy, even think about being happy, I'll have to deal with the bad stuff."

She got up and sat next to me. She held my hand and gave me a big smile.

"I remember the day you came home from the police station. I looked into your eyes and all I saw was hopelessness. I was so terrified that it'll be the only thing I'll ever see in my daughter's eyes. I've hated that man for so long. Prayed for his destruction but today, I see my strong and beautiful daughter looking forward to a life. Standing up for what she deserves. I couldn't be more happier."

I hugged her "it's a good thing dad isn't home. He would've rushed to execute Aaron personally." I joked but deep down I knew it was a little true.

My mother chuckled. "Don't joke about it."

I pulled out my phone and called Liam and my lawyer to set up the meeting tomorrow morning.

I saw a text from David.

David: reached home? I miss you.

Ashley: just leaving

David: :(

Ashley: what?

David: you didn't say you miss me. That's rude.

Ashley: maybe I didn't ;)

David: evil.

Ashley: wanna take a little trip tomorrow w me?

David: date? ;)

Ashley: you wish

David: im. Always

Ashley: not a date. Still in?

David: as long as you are there. Im all in

Ashley: See you in the morning

David: Ashley? Still don't miss me?

Ashley: a little. Maybe.

David: works for me. <3

I kept the phone aside and smiled to myself. Talking to him calmed my nerves a little bit. I was still terrified of what will happen tomorrow but I've faith it'll all be for good.  

Next morning I woke up and I could feel my anxiety in my toes. I was nervous but more importantly, terrified of how David will react to everything.