Chapter 18 | Rose

Chapter 18 | Rose

I blinked, still trying to put the pieces together. “What about the rose?”

“The prince has to fall in love with a woman and she has to fall in love with him and accept him the way he is, before the last petal falls.” He said and my eyes widened, my brain processing all this new information.

“What happens when the last petal falls?” I asked and suddenly it felt like time had stopped. The trees had stopped their gentle swaying. The water was too still. The fairies flying around us had quietened and it felt like time itself had stopped for a second.

“The prince will die because he is not capable of love.” He said and I gasped, hugging him tightly as if I was afraid that I was going to lose him right then and there. I was so afraid to lose him. I didn’t want him to die. He was such a good man.

“You are a good man.” I said, hugging him tighter and felt him wrap his arms around me. “The past made you change.”

He hugged me tighter and I felt my shoulder getting wet. I realised that he was crying and lifted his head up from my shoulders. He refused to show me his face but with a strong push, I made him look at me and wiped his tears away before kissing his forehead.

“You are a good man.” I said again, wanting him to know how much that meant.  “You are capable of love.”

“I am.” His response was immediate and his tears had stopped. His cerulean waves of blue were filled with a new found determination. “I am falling in love with a wonderful woman.”

Immediately, a pang shot through my heart and my lungs constricted with heart. My heart beated rapidly and I started moving away from him, feeling utterly heart broken. This is why you can’t love Harley. See, it hurts. It hurts a lot. Why would you get yourself into this mess? Love hurts and you knew that.

Just as I was about to take a seat back from him, his arms pulled me back towards him with a growl and I stiffened, feeling completely hopeless. “Why are you moving away?”

“You love another woman. Wouldn’t she feel hurt if she saw us like this?”

Suddenly, a broad smile spread across his face and his eyes danced with amusement. What is so funny about this situation? “You are the only woman in this castle Harley.”

It took me a few seconds before realisation sinked in me. A prominent blush filled my cheeks and I could even hear fairies laughing behind me at my embarrasment. Stupid Stupid Stupid Harley. I don’t really get embarrased easily but when I do, bad things tend to happen lik—

“I love cakes.”

“Wh—”

“They are such tasty food. I love Pizzas too. My Nana never lets me eat them though. She says that they are horrible food that make you fat. I remember gaining two pounds just because of eating Pizza for the whole day. I am not saying that I am not against being fat. I mean I love fat people. They are really chubby. And I absolutely love fat people who are short. They are like dwarves. Do you think dwarves exist? I think they do. I mean, fairies exist so why can’t dwarves exist too? I mean, it isn’t fair. The world isn’t fair. Why can’t the world be good? Why can’t life be good? I am not saying that my life is not good right now. It is perfect because you are here and…” I paused and took a look at his bewildered but amused expression. “…I am out of breath.”

“See.” He paused, a mischievious glint in his eyes. “I take your breath away.”

I started whacking his shoulders, making him want to feel the pain he had caused my heart just a few minutes ago. He was laughing, trying to block all the blows and punches. “Why couldn’t you have just told me that you love me straight to my face?” I asked, still whacking him and ruffled his hair, hoping it would annoy him. But he was just laughing away like a madman.

“I didn’t know you were that stupid.” He said, laughing again at my expression. And, just like that, we were back to the playful fights again.

“I hate you.” I said, folding my hands across my chest in annoyance to which he smirked.

“I know.” He said and pecked my nose, holding me close, but when I didn’t respond, he rolled his eyes. “Do you want me to woo you again?”

“Nah. You have wooed your way into my heart already. It’s too late.” I said, giving him a smile to which he smiled back. Suddenly, a fairy appeared right in between our faces and pointed upwards. Both of us looked up and saw a mistle toe slowly forming until it stopped right on top of our heads. I blushed, feeling like I had been caught in a Kiss Cam. The fairy flew away and I looked Jack.

“It’s a mistletoe.” I said and he grinned.

“Yeah. I happen to have eyes so I can see it too.”

“Will you be a gentleman for one second?” I asked, whacking his arm playfully and he shook his head.

“That thought scares me.” He said, and I laughed and rested my forehead on his.

“You never said it.” He said, looking nervous all of a sudden and I frowned, cupping his cheeks. “You never said if you have feelings for me too.”

“Ask me.”

“Do you love me Harley?”

“Nah. Who in their right mind would love you? You are an annoying ass—”

“Shut up.” He said, smiling amusedly before his lips fell on mine, and everything went slow. His hands played with the fabric on my hips and I played with his soft green hair, pulling him closer towards me. I could feel his heart beating rapidly against my chest and tingles erupted all over my body at the passionate way he kissed me. He was claiming me as his and I enjoyed and each and every moment of it.

●●

Hey!

I just want to know what countries my readers are from! 💚

Comment, vote and share.