19: So of course you'll be distracted when I spike the whiskey

Just under a month had gone by. I sat in my seat at the front of Psychology class next to Frank, not daring to look behind me, not daring to fill myself with more agony than that I had already been holding on to for the last few weeks.

I never thought I'd say these words but thank god for Brendon, he'd found me in a ditch that night, a bruised and shivering mess. He'd taken care of me, he'd been someone to talk to when all I wanted to do was cry. He'd let me scream at him, he'd let me shout at him until there was nothing left to say. Because that's what happens when someone breaks the heart you didn't even know you had.

Brendon had forced me out of bed each morning, made sure I ate, take my pills etc. He was such a mom.

Mikey and I hadn't spoken since what happened. He'd avoided me at all costs, not wanting confrontation. I wanted to talk to him so bad, I had even considered apologising for what I did to his aunt but I wasn't sorry and I was sure he'd see right through me.

"Peter and Michael, I need to speak to you both individually before you leave." Sykes said firmly and it was then that I realised that everyone was beginning to shuffle out of the lecture hall after yet another Psychology lesson had flown by, a pointless consumption of time. Every lesson I just sat there and stared blankly at the pieces of paper in front of me, as if words would just magically appear but they never would.

"Peter, enough with this dumb bullshit you're giving me, this isn't a game, your grades are on the line and I can't deal with anymore hard to get business so meet me in my office next Tuesday, it's important, there's no option to this either, you better show up." He snarled warningly at me and began to chuckle as he walked up the steps. Funny how he said it was "important" yet he was willing to leave our meeting for a weeks time. He made his way upwards towards Mikey. I couldn't even look at Mikey, I couldn't put myself through that pain so I began to make my way out of the lecture hall but I couldn't help but catch an earful of their conversation.

"Michael I am incredibly impressed with all of your work this year, you've been exceeding all of my standards. I think you deserve something in return. How about a drink sometime? You pick a date and time." Even though I wasn't looking at Sykes I could tell that a cat like grin was spread menacingly across his face. Fuck. Those were the words Sykes had first said to me. After my first Psychology that's what he'd practically said to me at the end. Shit. He was trying to bed Mikey. It was as if he had prepared a script for kids he had taken a liking to in order to get in their pants, or for them to get into his more so. I couldn't let that happen, I had to warn Mikey but I couldn't. But I knew that I couldn't let what happened to me happen to Mikey too.

Before I could hear anymore of the conversation Brendon was practically pulling me out of the lecture hall by my hair.

"Don't eavesdrop Pete, it's rude and it's just gonna get you even more hung up than you already are." Brendon said firmly, placing both his hands on each of my shoulders and bending down ever so slightly so he could look me straight in the eye. It was a look that said he knew best, but quite frankly he didn't.

"Brendon, Mikey's in trouble." I mumbled back. Just moving my lips in order to say his name made every muscle in my mouth ache. I'd been avoiding saying his name aloud, not wanting to make everything more real than it already was.

"And? You get into trouble with Sykes all the time, maybe you're a bad influence on Mikey." Brendon chuckled, not realising the pain his humour brought me.

"Trouble is the wrong word... He's in danger!" I said more loudly, trying to gain his full attention, trying to make him understand. I didn't want to have to explain how I knew this. I didn't want to have to explain the history between me and Sykes to Brendon of all people, but I knew I had to do something to help Mikey and the only way I could do that was with Brendon's help.