Chapter Fourteen

In the two short days leading up to Saturday, Rome tried his hardest. He wanted Jerome to know that he was good just like everybody else did. His team was in the middle of warmups when Time spotted Jerome, Camiella, and Grayson blending in with the crowd. Five minutes later the game was underway. His team, the Tigers, got the jumpball and Rome assisted on the first layup.

"Good job Rogers." He said getting back for defence.

By the end of the first quarter the Tigers were up 10-2, with four points in freethrows from Rome.

"Alright ladies," Coach Lewis said. "We're up, but to the point were we call it an easy win. Let's out work then and run our plays. That means no showboating Howard."

"My bad." He said as the buzzer rang.

"Hardwork on three." Rome said putting his fist out and everyone joined. "One. Two. Three. HARDWORK!"

Meanwhile Jerome made his way down to Jess's section. "Nice to see you again. It was so nice of you to invite us."

Jess's eyes got big and she shook her head. "You can't be here. Who else is here?"

"Just Grayson and Camiella."

"You guys are not safe."

"Enough of that. Rome's playing really well." Jerome said. "I'm proud of him."

"You've seen him play once. And it's only the second quarter." She said.

"Then that should be saying something." He said. "Look, Jess, I really wanna try and make this thing work. I know he's my son. I trust Grace. I want her to be looking down on us and say "that's all I wanted" for me and Rome to get to know each other and become father and son. Despite how much she hated Rome, I know all she wants is for us to be a family. So can you please help me out. I can't do this by myself."

"Grace didn't hate Rome, from what I saw, she loved him." Jess said. "But I'll help as much as I can. D'Angelo's kind of grilling me and I think imma just give him some space."

"I knew he wasn't doing it for you." Jess growled at Jerome who was laughing and clapping at the game going on the background.

"Don't go there."

"What? I could see it. Y'all have too many problems for him to be doing you right in the bedroom."

"Look, you're not here to court me. You're here to get to know your son."

"You ever had it put down correctly?" He asked sitting back.

"Yeah, Kelly's a king in the bedroom." Jess said as if she were reminiscing about it. Jerome growled standing up and leaving.

"You get anything from her?" Grayson asked.

"I know she fucked Kelly, and that's it."

"That's not good enough. Work your fucking charm on her and get what we fucking came for." Grayson demanded.

"I came to watch my son play basketball." Jerome said. "You go try to get her."

"Naw, I got a while boyfriend!"

"Ok, I got a girlfriend."

"Has that ever stopped you? Diera won't know or care." Grayson said. "Use your fucking head."

"I mean shit, she fine or whatever, but she hostile as hell. Making me wanna kill somebody. Like the way she brought up Kelly hurt me a little bit, and I can't tell if it was a joke or not."

"I don't care. Just do something." Jerome shook his head and turned back to the game.

Rome had a quick peek at the scoreboard and it was 63-59 with :15 left in the fourth quarter. He was stopped by a pick and his man went around dropping a three on them bringing them within one point. Coach Lewis called a timeout and the boys ran over.

"What have I told you about keeping your eyes on the ball? Make sure y'all call out picks, too." He started. "Now get the ball in to Rome, Rome try to hold it. Chez set the set from the frontcourt to the backcourt. Manuel pass it in. Damon and Yusef keep moving as a destraction. Yusef if they double Rome and he can't get it you're the next option. You're oh best freethrow shooter. Make them count."

Everyone agreed to the play and counted down before heading back into the court. The buzzer rang and the other team broke it down as well.

The ref passed Manual the ball and the boys started scrambling around. Everything went as planned and Rome got the ball before being immediately fouled. He went to the freethrow line and made his first one earning a second one. He missed and the other team being out of time outs tried to rush it down. Number 23 three a hail Mary to a kid by himself down court and Rome's eyes got wide. As he goes up for a layup Yusef comes out of nowhere and rejects the hell out of his shot. Every cheers and the Tigers run to pick up on defence. They pass it in and the clock quickly runs down it's last eight seconds. They double pick Rome drawing up a clear shot for their shooting guard as the final buzzer rings. Everyone watched in anticipation as the ball dances around the hoop. It almost goes in, but spins out spending the Tigers home with a win. Jess cheered and clapped for her son and Jerome nodded in acceptance.

"That boy is pretty good." He told Grayson.

"Yeah, it was a good game."

"I'm going to go talk to Jess." Camiella said. "Just to say hey."

She stands up and makes her way over to Jess with a smile. "Hey Jess."

"Hey Camiella. How are you?"

"Fine. How are you?"

"Good. What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I just came to check on you." She said. "Warn you not to trust my dad of Grayson."

"Why?"

"Don't say anything because I don't know much. I just know you haven't done information that want, and Jeromes gonna try to get it from you." She said. "Im not sure what it is. But I don't want Rome to get hurt and I don't know how deep he relates to everything."

"Thank you so much, but I can handle it. Don't worry." Jess reached in her purse for a 50. "Sneaky pay for a spy."

"You really don't have to." She said. Jess shoved it in her shirt pocket and raised an eyebrow.

"I can't have you do this for free. Even if it's only once. Which it should be, because easedropping can be dangerous."

"Yeah, it's just my dad and Grayson's stupid loud mouth. I actually can't help it. Some of its really interesting."

"Mhm. Rome told me you're going to school in New York."

"Well I want to, but with this whole thing with you and my dad I don't know if this is actually safe." She said sadly. "I mean the way he talks about that stuff. And how the bad people live here. I'm going somewhere else."

"You shouldn't let that stuff keep you from your dreams." Jess told her. "Trust me, you'll regret it. And you have a whole year before you have to actually go. So think about it."

"Ok." Rome walked over and Jess congratulated him.

"Good job, baby." She said pinching his cheek.

"Ok, ok. Hey Camiella." He said with a big smile and stepping up to give her a big hug.

"Hey Rome." She said happily.

"Where's Jerome?" She pointed towards the top and Rome looked before waving.

"I'm going to say hi." He told Jess. She nodded and continued with Camiella while he walked up the road and does of bleachers.

"Wassup man?" Jerome said shaking Rome's hand. Rome smiled and chuckled.

"I can't believe you actually came." He said.

"What!?"

"Not like that. Like I'm happy you came and got to see me play." Rome said frantically looking around.

"I'm just playing with you." Jerome said playfully punching his stomach. Rome fakely smiled folding over. "You don't gotta be scared of me."

"Right." Rome said looking up at Grayson.