The Argonath

Gimli, Legolas, Alaina, Merry, Pippin, Frodo and Sam are in a pavilion set among the trees near the fountain. They laid on soft couches as Elves left food and wine for them. Mournful singing drifts down from the trees above. Legolas spoke sadly, "A lament for Gandalf..."

Boromir sat alone in the corner and Aragorn sharpened his sword as Merry asked, "What do they say about him?"

Legolas shook his head an turned to Alaina who had finally let tears well up in her eyes. Legolas looked back at Merry, "I have not the heart to tell you. For me, the grief is still too near."

Aragorn walked towards Boromir, being stopped by the sight of his sister who had tears rolling down her face peacefully. She sat against a tree trunk sharpening her daggers, trying to stop crying by distracting herself. Aragorn crouched down in front of her and wiped the tears off with his thumb. She looked up at him hopelessly before he took her daggers and placed them on the ground, "Get some rest, Alaina. You fought so well today."

Alaina only nodded as she stood to go to her bed. Aragorn went to talk to Boromir. Legolas soon joined her, sitting next to her bed, "What did you say to Haldir to let us pass?"

Alaina smiled slightly, "I said, 'My old friend, the fate of Middle Earth rests on your shoulders. What you decide will stick with you for as long as you live. If you feel the ring will endanger your people, then cast us out, so be it. But I can almost promise that it won't. The only thing that will harm your people is the evil that lies in Mordor," she finished. "Just a bit of guilt tripping," she chuckled.

Legolas laughed along with her before he fell asleep, but Alaina sat awake listening in on Boromir and Aragorn's conversation. "I will find no rest here. I heard her voice inside my head... she spoke of my father and the fall of Gondor, and she said to me: 'Even now, there is hope left'" he paused, taking a moment, "But I cannot see it...it is long since we had any hope."

Alaina took his words in deeply before he continued, "My father is a noble man, but his rule is failing and our..our people lose faith. He looks to me to make things right...and I would do it, I would see the glory of Gondor restored. Have you and Alaina ever seen it, Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze... have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?"

Alaina longed to be back in Minas Tirith, though it's been a very very long time since she was. Aragorn only nodded, "I have seen the White City.. long ago."

This made Boromir smile, "One day our paths will lead us there, and the tower guards shall take up the call 'the Lords and Lady of Gondor have returned!'"

Alaina fell asleep and dreamed about her true home. Minas Tirith, side by side next to Legolas. So close to him, yet so far.

They left early in the morning and the elves gifted them each with a cloak. "May these cloaks help shield you from unfriendly eyes."

The Fellowship split up into three boats. Alaina was with Legolas and Gimli, Aragorn was with Frodo and Sam and Boromir was with Merry and Pippin. No one spoke throughout their journey down the river, they only thought of the presents Galadriel had given each of them. She moved down the line of the Fellowship, she moved to Alaina last, after Aragorn and Legolas. 

The elf looked into Alaina's mind, seeing her thoughts and feelings. "The Dame of Dúnedain, sister of Aragorn II, you are stronger than you know. Your mission is to protect your brother, your king, yet you will find peace, happiness and love through that mission. Fight strong, for the balance of Middle Earth rests not only on the hobbits shoulders." Galadriel spoke in elvish, and Aragorn and Legolas tried not to listen in but they did anyways. Galadriel was handed two small sheaths by one of the elves and turned to give it to Alaina, "A gift you will need, may these protect you an your family."

Alaina grabbed the sheathes and unsheathed one of the daggers which were just like hers. They had a ring at the bottom but they looked more elvish, more like Legolas' dual blades.

 They had a ring at the bottom but they looked more elvish, more like Legolas' dual blades

(Alaina's daggers. A custom picture by me. :))

Alaina bowed her head, "Thank you, my Lady. I will use this gift to the full length of my ability,

Galadriel just nodded her head before speaking into Alaina's mind, "Don't you worry, child. The world has a plan for you."

Alaina raised her head quickly, realizing she was the only one who heard that. She just gave Galadriel a smile, "Thank you," she said once more, as if saying it once wasn't enough.

Alaina was soon back in reality and she was rowing her boat along the river. Though it was more peaceful that her memory. 

They sailed down the river and that's when Aragorn looked over at Alaina

They sailed down the river and that's when Aragorn looked over at Alaina. They were the heirs to Gondor, passing through the Argonath, which were large three-hundred foot tall statues of Gondorian kings of old. Alaina looked over at Aragorn who stopped rowing to look up at their beauty and greatness. Aragorn and Alaina's boats were close enough for Alaina to hear Aragorn, "Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old..." he looked to Alaina, "Our kin."