Ancient Alliances

Ten thousand orc from Isengard. 

Here by nightfall.

Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and Alaina followed Théoden out of the gate onto the causeway, standing into the gate they were working on reinforcing. "We will cover the causeway and the gate from above. No army has ever breached the Deeping Wall or set foot inside the Hornburg."

"This is no rabble of mindless Orcs. These are Uruk-hai. Their armor is thick and their shields broad," Gimli stated.

"I have fought many wars, Master Dwarf. I know how to defend my own keep," Théoden said defensively. The king walks back in, follow by the other four, "They will break upon this fortress like water on rock. Saruman's hordes will pillage and burn, we've seen it before. Crops can be resown; homes rebuilt. Within these walls, we will outlast them."

"They do not come to destroy Rohan's crops or villages. They come to destroy its people. Down to the last child," Aragorn said fiercely. 

Théoden turned around and got close to Aragorn, "What would you have me do? Look at my men. Their courage hangs by a thread. If this is to be our end, then I would have them make such an end as to be worthy of remembrance."

"Send out riders, my lord. You must call for aid," Alaina suggested, pulling Théoden's attention to herself.

"And who will come? Elves? Dwarves? We are not so lucky in our friends as you. The old alliances are dead," the king said angrily.

"Gondor will answer," Aragorn said, taking Alaina by surprise.

"Gondor?" Théoden asked, getting close to Aragorn one more, "Where was Gondor when the Westfold fell? Where was Gondor when our enemies closed in around us? Where was Gon...— No, my lord Aragorn, we are alone." He then walked off, calling out orders, "Get the women and children to the caves!"

Aragorn, Legolas and Alaina walked along the wall, making their way through the people heading into the caves. "We'll place the reserves along the wall. They can support the archers from above the gate."

"Aragorn, you must rest!" Legolas said, Aragorn ignored him, "You're no good to us half-alive."

"I have to agree with him, brother," Alaina added on.

"My lord! Aragorn!" Éowyn ran up, "I am to be sent with the women into the caves."

Aragorn stood above her, "That is an honorable charge."

"To mind the children, to find food and bedding for the men's return? What renown is there in that?" Éowyn complained.

Alaina stepped up next to Aragorn, "You're the last line of defense. The last chance your people will have to stay alive. And that, is honorable," Alaina spoke in a rush, brushing past Éowyn's shoulder and up the stairs. 

Aragorn just stood there, "I am sorry, my lady." He then followed after his sister, followed by Legolas and Gimli.

 They stood in the armory, most of the men in there looked at Alaina strangely since she was the only woman in the room. She was used to it, though, she picked up a rusty sword and examined it before throwing it down with disgust. "Farmer, farriers, stable boys. These are no soldiers," Alaina spoke quietly.

"Most have seen too many winters," Gimli whisperd.

"Or too few," Legolas added. "Look at them. They're frightened. I can see it in their eyes," Legolas stated. The whole room stopped and stared at them. Alaina's mouth parted in shock, Legolas began to walk away but turned back, "And they should be, three hundred against ten thousand!"

Aragorn stood there and the people watched with fearful looks in their eyes, "They have more hope of defending themselves here than at Edoras," Aragorn defended, looking at Legolas with sad eyes.

"Aragorn, we are warriors. They cannot win this fight. They are all going to die!" Legolas yelled the last part, thankfully they were speaking Elvish.

Aragorn had begun to walk away but he turned back, "Then I shall die as one them!" He stepped closer to Legolas, only a foot away from him.

Alaina stood next to Aragorn who brushed past her shoulder as he walked away, causing Alaina to stumble a bit. "Great going, Legolas," she muttered before continuing to pass out armor and swords to the men, giving them kind smiles.

Alaina watched as a young boy was handed an axe, completely terrified of it. But he grabbed it anyways, she walked over to the young kid and bent down, "Here's a tip," she smiled, placing a helmet on his head, "Hit 'em with the pointy end."

The boy smiled at her through the helmet before wandering off, following the men who are geared up and ready to fight. 

Aragorn and Alaina sat in the now empty armory, she helped him put on his chainmail and tied up his cloak for him, "One of us has to live tonight, Aragorn," Alaina said. "Hopefully both of us will, but if it comes down to it, you have to get out of here alive."

"Like hell, I would never leave you behind," Aragorn said angrily. "If one of us has to survive, it has to be you."

Alaina smiled gently, "You're the king of Gondor, you made a promise to Boromir. You must survive this night, brother."

Aragorn looked at her for a moment, his eyes searching hers. He sighed as she finished tying up his shirt. He grabbed her head and held it to look at him, "Both of us survive, or neither of us survive." He waited until she nodded to press his forehead to hers. "Be safe and fight hard, sister."

She nodded, walking off to get changed into her gear. First the chain male, and then her jacket, and then her belt. Then she sheathed all her knives in their respected slots.

She walked back out to find that Aragorn and Legolas had forgive each other for earlier. Thankfully.

Then a horn sounded, and they all looked towards the gate in confusion. "That's not an orc horn," Legolas said before they all ran out of the room and to the gates.

"Open the gate!" The guards yelled from above. 

They made it to the steps up to the keep to see Haldir in front of an entire Elven army. Legolas smiled proudly. "—We have come to honor that allegiance," Haldir finished saying to the king. 

Alaina is the one to speak first, being the least astonished, "Welcome, Haldir," she says softly. He only stares at her. 

Aragorn was so happy he wrapped his arms around Haldir. The elf was shocked at first but hugged him back lightly anyways. "You are most welcome!" Aragorn says.

Legolas and Haldir grasp each other's shoulders with big smiles on their faces. Haldir then turns back to the king, "We are proud to fight alongside men once more."