Nick ~ My Fault

You leaned against the safe room door, breathing heavily. Hearing a jockey's crazed laughter you pushed off the door and spun to point your gun outside. You spotted it and shot it twice with your rifle, killing it and making the noises it produced end. Heaving a sigh, you wiped your sweaty brow with the back of your hand and dropped the gun back down to your side.

"Good job, (Y/N)," Nick grumbled, reloading his AK-47 and sending a quick unhappy glance in your direction.

"It's not just my fault," you tried to defend yourself, looking to the others for support. They looked away awkwardly, all blaming the horde attack on you at least a little bit.

"Well, you didn't try ta," Ellis offered, sending you one of his hopefully-I'm-helping smiles. You had spotted a boomer standing a ways away from you and told the others not to shoot it, as you wanted to scope in on it and blow its brains out. So they had let you aim and fire, but you missed and the boomer disappeared from view.

Nick made sure you knew you messed up, which you ignored for the most part as you could still see its belly sticking out from behind the wall. You told them to give you a minute; you were just gonna wait for it to step out a little more so you could get a clear shot.

After a full minute was up and the boomer had hardly moved, Coach suggested you all keep moving. You said you'd wait a little longer just to get the kill because you really liked the scope on the rifle and wanted to actually use it before finding a better weapon. The others went on ahead as you stayed standing where you were for the past few minutes.

After a moment, though, you sighed and dropped the rifle. It wasn't coming out anytime soon, you might as well catch up to the others before they got too far ahead and some special infected decided to prey on you. You failed to notice the boomer you had originally been aiming to kill waddling up behind you and the 'boomer' hidden behind the wall was a common infected.

By the time the others reached the spot the boomer was, the common infected saw them and ran towards them. They killed it right as you met up with them. Rochelle was the one to notice the special infected behind you, shouting "Boomer!", and you whirled around, pulling the trigger before you could tell yourself not to.

The boomer exploded, thus coating the 5 of you in boomer insides, thus alerting the horde to come have a bite, thus making your teammates yell at you. You switched your rifle out for a bat you found as you looked down in embarrassment. It was hard to fend off the swarm of infected and you ended up using a health kit to help heal all of you.

"To be fair, we all thought that was a boomer back there," Coach offered his support and you smiled at him in thanks.

"I didn't," Nick set his gun on the table, which was covered in dust, and folded his arms. You wondered why he would choose to set his weapon there considering he didn't like dirty things.

"Are you sure 'bout that Nick?" Ellis poked his arm, making the older man glare at him. Ellis simply smiled good-naturedly.

"Yes, Ellis," he switched his glare from Ellis to you, his arms still tense to show he wasn't about to forgive you. You liked Nick, you did, but he sure didn't make it easy. It was a wonder you fell for him in the first place with his attitude constantly sour. "Was it worth it to shoot your new rifle?"

"Yeah," you shrugged, deciding it kinda was. You found this wonderful rifle in the last safe room and you made sure to grab it before the others could. Nick scoffed.

"It wasn't, sweetheart." If only he used that nickname affectionately, then maybe you'd drop this argument.

"You're not perfect either, Nick," you frowned, hoping he might see the illogic of blaming the injuries of your team on you. Yes, sure, it was mostly your fault, but nobodies' perfect. "It was an accident."