Ellis ~ Sightless

You held out your hand as Rochelle had your left arm hooked with hers. In your outstretched hand you held a bat with some nails sticking out of it, held carefully so it wouldn't accidentally hurt you or any one of your survivors friends.

Rochelle—like you thought was reasonable—was somewhat unwilling to give you a weapon. You were blind for goodness sake, you could do something without even knowing it and seriously injure someone. The thing was, when you made contact with a zombie you weren't sure if it was actually something you were supposed to kill.

That's why, whenever there was a horde, Rochelle placed you somewhere where you wouldn't hit anyone within the circle your bat could make around you. If need be one of the survivors would shout at you to stop, and you'd instantly freeze so you couldn't touch anything with your bat.

It happened, on rare occasion, that a zombie would make its way over to you after you'd frozen, but you still wouldn't move. If it started hitting you, you'd try to fend it off without swinging that bat.

You almost hated carrying that thing around, it made you feel terrible just touching it. There was always something that could go wrong with it, and you figured it would be better if you didn't have it at all. Throwing punches would be so much easier and less harmful to your fellow teammates.

Rochelle tugged you gently in a different direction, something that never happened when a special infected was around. If one of those nasty things appeared she'd be more sharp with her movements, making sure you followed closely so you didn't get hurt. She was an old friend of yours, had saved your life when your family turned. She had been telling you everything that had been happening, how the news station she was working for wanted to call her up so she could do her very first broadcast due to the lack of workers.

You were in the middle of congratulating her when growls were heard downstairs. You had no animals and the only other people in the house were your family, so as you looked at Rochelle (more like turned in her direction), she started to open the door.

"Mom? Dad? Everyone?" You called down, wondering if maybe they were watching a movie and forgot to tell you. They always told you stuff like this so you didn't worry. Being blind and all, you didn't know what was happening and couldn't really investigate without 'putting yourself in danger'.

You took a step outside your bedroom door before Rochelle put herself in front of you. She descended the stairs and looked around, calling out to your mom and dad and sibling(s). Nobody answered, unless you counted the growls and other inhuman noises changing in pitch and volume. As she rounded the corner, the things staring back at her weren't your family. Sure they had similar looks, but these things weren't human, not by a long shot.

So Rochelle ran, originally aiming to return to you but her path was blocked by your sibling, who looked like it just got a tasty meal from your father's body. She gasped and ran to the kitchen, finding a large knife sticking out a block of wood. She pulled it out right as your sibling got to her. Ramming it through its skull with such force, the knife nearly went straight through and out the other side.

Ro winced and immediately dropped the knife, making your sibling crumble to the stone tiles in your kitchen with the weapon forever plunged into its head. Your friend stared for a little bit, trying to comprehend the situation and if she'd done the right thing, when she heard your voice.

The infected in the house also perked at the sound of fresh meat, so Rochelle barely had time to grab another weapon and rush to the stairs. You stood at the top, turning your head this way and that in an attempt to hear something useful, but nothing reached your ears. Until you heard movement, like someone was scrambling to get away from something that would end their life, and you faced them.