Chapter 28

JACE'S POV

Alec and I had just finished sparring when his phone rang. He walked over and picked it up, a small smile appearing on his face as he answered it. I knew immediately who it was.
"Hey Magnus." He said. A smirk appeared on my face at the expression on his and the emotions (mainly happiness) that I felt echo through our bond. "I'm in the training room at the Institute, I was just sparring with Jace, I...no you don't have to, I can come to you...don't be silly, I...Magnus..." He started rambling, but before he could finish, a portal appeared in the middle of the training room, Magnus stepping out.
"Hello Magnus." I greeted him.
"Jace, nice to see you." He greeted me.
"I suppose you're here to see Alec." I said with a smirk.
"How observant of you." He replied.
"I'll give you two some space." I said. Before either of them could say anything, I made my way out the door to leave the two lovebirds alone.

ISABELLE'S POV

"Clary? Are you sure you're alright?" I asked.
"Yeah, it's fine. I must be hearing things." She said, dismissing any idea of it being anything else. Ben and I shared a look that said we didn't believe her, but we let it slide for the moment. If it happens again, then we'll interrogate her, but for now we can tell she doesn't want to talk about it. Before any of us could say anything else, a medic came over to us.
"Alright, Ben, we can release you now, but we strongly advise against you going out in the field until this goes away. We cannot force you to do so, but we strongly discourage it if you want to heal properly." She told Ben.
"OK. If it means that I'll heal quicker then I won't go out in the field for a while. I'll tell Aldertree once I get out of here." Ben replied. The medic nodded at this and gestured for us to leave. With that, all three of us did exactly that.

ALEC'S POV

Magnus and I had just finished lunch and shopping in Tokyo and were coming through a portal and were now discussing why the sushi we just ate was called 'fatty tuna'. How we got here? I have no idea.
"I mean how would they feel?" I asked Magnus, walking to his living room to put all the shopping bags down.
"Well, I'm glad you didn't ask in front of the sushi chef." Magnus replied, setting his bags down.
"Seriously, why do they call it fatty tuna? I mean that's a little degrading." I stated.
"Well, I don't think obese tuna sounds any better." Magnus replied.
"As much as I love Tokyo and Prague, a bacon burger from the East Village isn't that bad." I told him.
"The world is your oyster Alexander." Magnus stated. I got out the present I had bought for Magnus and turned to him.
"Got you something." I said, offering it to him.
"Me?" He asked, surprise obvious on his face.
"Yes, you." I told him. He took it carefully. "Open it." I stated. He took the omamori I had bought him out of the bag and looked at it carefully. I smiled. "It's supposed to bring you luck and protection." I told him. He looked at me with a look of affection and appreciation.
"Thank you Alexander." He said with a soft smile on his face. "You continue to surprise me." He told me, leaning in.
"In good ways I hope." I replied, mimicking his action.
"Always." He whispered before kissing me.

*A while later*

Magnus and I were in the midst of a makeout session when I heard my phone go off. Ugh, why now? I pulled away and looked at it. It was Jace.

From: Jace
Emergency meeting at the Institute, we need you.

I raised my eyebrows at his text but didn't ask what it was.
"I gotta go." I said in a defeated tone.
"Go do your job Shadowhunter." Magnus said casually. "I'm not going anywhere." He reassured me.
Magnus made me a portal that would take me to the steps of the Institute. As he was making the portal, I got another text from Jace.

From: Jace
Clary and I will meet you at the entrance to the Institute

I looked at Magnus after quickly reading Jace's text and gave him a smile before walking through the portal that would take me to the Institute.

*At the Institute*

I walked up the steps and pushed the door open to be faced with both Jace and Clary waiting for me.
"Any idea what this is about?" I asked Jace as I came inside.
"I heard a big storm's moving in. Always increases demon activity." Jace replied. We then walked to the training room where we saw Shadowhunters training and sparring with each other. We walked over to Izzy, who was currently standing in front of one of the monitors looking at something.
"What did we miss?" I asked Izzy.
"The Citadel was breached, Magdalena's dead, Cleophas is missing." Izzy said, giving a quick summary.
"Valentine?" Clary asked, it was more of a statement than a question by this point. Isabelle sighed, a blank expression on her face. Ben was standing next to her.
"Who else could it be?" She asked. She then turned to look at all of us. "Aldertree's heading to Idris to meet with the Council." She added.
"I'll go check with Ops." I said, walking off.

JACE'S POV

I watched as Alec walked away before turning back to Ben, Izzy, and Clary.
"I have a feeling that we may have interrupted something between Alec and Magnus." I said with a smirk. I could feel the affection that Alec felt towards Magnus and the happiness that it brought when the two were around each other. He wasn't very good at hiding it. In fact, he didn't even try to.
"What do you mean?" Izzy asked.
"Right before I texted him, I could feel affection and happiness echoing through our bond and then what I think was disappointment after he received my text. Plus, if you look closely, you'll see that Alec's lips are slightly swollen." I told them. Izzy smirked at this knowledge and I knew that she was going to harass Alec about both his date, and the fact that he was making out with Magnus before I texted him very soon. Ben smiled at the thought of his twin finally having someone to share his love and affection, and Clary smiled to herself. Even though Clary and Alec didn't really get along all the time, you couldn't say that she wasn't happy for him.