Chapter 36

*The Next Day*

BEN'S POV

We said our farewells to Mum and Max since they both had to go back to Idris. I wish they didn't have to. I hate to send Mum back to Dad, and Max back to all that fighting.
Jace, Alec, and I are going to have a hard time keeping this from Isabelle. She knows when we're lying and all three of us hate keeping anything from our sister, let alone this.
"How are we going to keep this from Izzy? We all know she is one to pry and when she gets her mind set on discovering something, she will succeed." I asked my brothers.
"I don't know. It's going to be difficult, I don't doubt that, but we can do it." Jace replied.
"She's going to pry. You know that right?" Alec said.
"We know, but we can try and keep it from her as long as possible." I suggested.

*Later*

ALEC'S POV

Magnus and I were going for a walk in the park when we came across a little girl sitting on the swing by herself. I looked at Magnus and we then walked over to her. She looked up at us, saying nothing.
"Are you alright Sweet Pea?" Magnus asked. She looked up at him, still not saying anything. As she did, I saw a set of gills on each side of her neck. A warlock.
"Cool gills." I complimented her warlock mark with a smile. She smiled timidly at my compliment. "What's your name?" I asked kindly, keeling down to her level to hopefully make her more comfortable. She opened her mouth slightly, as if she were going to tell me.
"Her name's Madzie." A woman, who I assumed was a warlock. I looked up at the same time that Magnus looked at the woman with a disapproving look.
"Iris." He said as I stood up slowly.
"Magnus." She greeted him curtly. "Who might you be?" She asked him, indicating to me.
"Alec Lightwood." I introduced myself. Magnus was the only person I felt comfortable with calling me Alexander, there was no way I was going to let her call me Alexander.
"Well, it is nice to meet you Alec. What are you two doing together exactly?" Iris asked, a hint of judgment in her voice.
"At the moment? We're going for a walk in the park, but in the grand scheme of things, we're dating." I replied, a hint of sass in my voice as I looked directly at her. She then turned to Magnus.
"Honestly Magnus, not that he isn't attractive, but I thought you had better taste in partners. A Shadowhunter? Really?" Iris asked.
"You insult my boyfriend again Iris and I you won't want to know what I'll do to you." Magnus threatened in a dark voice.
"Magnus, it's fine." I said, trying to calm him down, putting my hand on his shoulder. I then felt a little pull on my jeans. I looked down to see Madzie smiling up at me. I knelt down to her height.
"How old are you Madzie?" I asked in a kind tone, a smile on my face. She looked at me for a moment before raising her hand, holding four fingers up.
"Four! You're a big girl aren't you?" I said in the same tone I used to use with Max when he was her age.
"No. I'm little." She said quietly.
"Ah, but little people are the most fun!" I replied, being as nice as I could. The corners of her mouth twitched up quickly into what I could only imagine was a smile.
"Come on Madzie, it's time to go." Iris said to her, looking at me with distaste. I rolled my eyes and stood up straight again as Madzie looked up at Iris and then back at us. She took Iris' hand and then waved goodbye to us with her free hand. Iris then picked her up, and made a portal. "Until next time." She said as a farewell before she stepped through the portal, Madzie still looking at us. I sighed. I knew that Magnus and my relationship was going to be hard, but I hadn't imagined it to be like this.

*Back at the Institute*

JACE'S POV

I was training to get my mind off what Mum had told us yesterday. I now had a deep-seated anger towards Robert for hurting his wife, my mother, in such a way. Maryse may not be my birth mother, but she raised me and treated me like one of her own children and I will forever consider her my true mother. I hate keeping secrets from my family, truly I do. Even though the only person we are really keeping it from is Isabelle, it still hurts. I know she is going to start prying and try to get the truth out from Ben, Alec, and I though, and I know she won't like what she finds. I didn't notice I had zoned out until I heard someone speak to me.
"Hey, Jace, do you know where Alec is?" I heard the voice of my younger sister ask behind me.
"I think he went for a walk with Magnus. He said something about central park." I replied. "What's up Izzy? Do you need me to call him or can I help you with something?" I asked, seeing the look on her face.
"It's nothing, don't worry about it." Izzy said, trying to change topic.
"Isabelle." I said in a mock warning tone.
"Fine. You, Ben, and Alec have been acting weird ever since Max's Rune Ceremony, and I wanted to know if you were all ok?" She asked. Oh no. I need to talk to the twins.
"No, we're fine. The three of us had a conversation with Mum and we worked out all our issues." I said, only partially lying. "I promise, we're fine." I told her, putting my hand on her upper arm in a comforting way. She smiled at me and then we hugged.