Chapter 28

Today's prom and I must admit that a little part of me is excited. I guess it's just that I never went before that makes me feel this way. I wasn't excited before but I suddenly do. 

It's two hours before prom and I' sadly getting ready early. 

It would've taken atleast fifteen minutes for me to get ready but with a friend like Sofie, there's no such thing. 

I was already dressed but Sofie HAD to do my hair and makeup. She wants to curl my already curly hair, she said it'd 'look better with bigger curls'. 

I sighed, so here I am, Sofie curling my hair. 

We were talking about how'd prom would look and that'd we'd have to leave a little early if we wanna be refreshed and ready for graduation tomorrow. 

She had her hair curled too. She did it earlier with her mom, also her makeup.

As soon as  Sofie finished my hair, mom walked into my room. She stood in awe. "Wow, you're going to prom." she beamed, "I love those curls."

"Thank you." Sofie smiled proudly., giving a small bow. 

Mom chuckled, "Thank you Sofie. You're dragging her to prom, to curl her hair, to wear makeup, to even wear a dress"! mom both thanked and listed. 

I rolled my eyes, "I've worn a dress before."

"Twice." mom stated. "Right....I still wore it." I retorted. Mom and Sofie laughed. Mom decided to stay as Sofie did my makeup. I begged her to do it lightly which to my luck she agreed. 

Sofie and mom were talking up a storm, I think she gets along with Sofie better than I do. 

"My mom us stealing my best friend." I frowned. Sofie nodded, "She is WAY more amusing." I gasped to which my mom and Sofie replied with a chuckle. 

She was finally done with my makeup and I was ready. 

"Thank heavens." I sighed in relief and looked and looked in my mirror to be given a shock. "Oh my gosh." I was speechless. 

"What's wrong?" Sofie asked in a panicky tone. I shook my head, "It's amazing."

She beamed, clapping her hands, "Yay." Mom placed a necklace around my neck, "How do you look now?" 

"This is amazing, where did you get it?" I asked, touching the necklace gently. 

"Your dad gave it to me as a wedding anniversary gift." she replied. "Thanks mom." 

The doorbell rang. "They're here." Sofie squealed. I rolled my eyes, giddy much? Mom opened the door, "Hello boys." and made way for them to come inside. 

"Hi Miss." "Hey Ruby." I smiled at how Mason still called my mom by her first name. 

Though I'm kind of upset with Mason, it's prom and I'm willing to forget about it for tonight and for grad tomorrow.

Sofie and I walked over to them. 

I kissed Mason on his cheek. "Hey Rose." he smiled. "Let's go." I said quickly. If we don't get out of here now my mom will want- "Pictures! Wait, I want pictures." mom said excitedly. 

I groaned. Too late. She's gonna turn this into a photo shoot! 

"I won't be long I promise." And surprisingly she lived up to her promise. After she took a picture of me kissing Mason's cheek, she told us we could leave.

"Bye mom." I waved and we went into Mason's car while Ross and Sofie went into Ross' car.

During the ride to school, Mason gently held my hand. I looked at him in adoration, I'm gonna miss him when we go off to college.

"Wow. This is...wow." I stated as we walked inside the basketball court where prom was being held.

"Yup. Prom." Ross said. 

I didn't respond, I still wasn't really talking to him much and Sofie surprisingly didn't notice. Mason immediately dragged me out to dance with him and I must admit, I really enjoyed it. 

Sofie and I also had fun dancing and because Sofie wanted to dance with Mason, I had no choice but to dance with Ross. 

"So, enjoying your first prom?" he asked, trying to make conversation. 

"Yeah, how was prom when you were 17?" I questioned. "Really different. More old-timish." he chuckled. 

"The good old days." I smiled. He nodded. 

"So you and Sofie are going Yale together." I stated. "Yup and Mason chose Harvard over Stanford. I'm sorry." he gave a small smile.

"Yeah, I'm sure I'll make some friends." I faked a smile. 

"Hmm, I'm sure you will, no doubt." "Thanks Ross." I gave him a hug which he quickly returned. A slow dance started, "Can I steal Rose?" Mason asked.

"Sure." Ross went over to Sofie. 

"Mason and I slowly danced to the song, "I'm glad I came." I said. "So am I." I smiled. "Rose, about Harvard-" "Don't ruin this Mason." I shook my head. 

"I'm sorry." he apologised. I gave a small smile as he spun me around. 

"I'm gonna miss this when you're gone." I suddenly spoke. Wait, I meant to keep that in my head.

His face turned sour but he regained himself and dipped me as the song ended. 

I laughed as he pulled me up then kissing me. I hugged him tightly. I'm really gonna miss this. "We should head home." Sofie said, I nodded. 

Sofie was staying by me for the night so we said goodbye to Mason and Ross. 

"See you in the morning." I waved and they waved back, driving away.