Chapter 5: BobbleHead

Hey guys! I'm sorry this chapter is rather short. It's been a long day, and I'm not confident that people would actually read my stuff. I feel like I'm talking to air, but that might just be because this story's fairly new. I've posted a chapter every night for the past few days so I'll try to keep up on the consistency!

Enjoy!

Silas

I don't know why I'm doing this. She's not a close friend, or even a friend for that matter. I spent all afternoon grocery shopping and making soup. I had to scrap it twice because I messed up on one thing or another.

This is stupid.

When I reach her place, all the lights are out. I walk to the back and find one of the rooms with its lights on. Of the two windows, this one had stickers of a bunny, a cloud, and a sun, on it. That's gotta be her.

In the center of the two windows stood a tall, sturdy tree. I carry the bag I brought with care, and as I try to climb the tree, I noticed that my container of soup was highly unstable in my hands. Without hesitation, I put the straps over my head, letting the bag dangle from my neck. I must look like an idiot doing this, but it's the only way to go. When I reached the top, I realized her light was already out. I pull out my phone and call.

"What?" She sounds sleepy. Adorable.

"Open your window, Lane!" I watch as her light turns on and she opens her window slowly, careful as to not make any sounds.

She frowns upon seeing me. It makes me feel uneasy; I would prefer to be the reason she smiles. You barely know the girl...

"What are you doing here," she asks as I cautiously climb in through the window. Her hair was tied up into a bun at the top of her head and it wiggled every time she moved. She was wearing a loose t-shirt that had flying cats printed on it and had a pair of sleep shorts that hung loosely on her hips.

Her legs look so long in those shorts...

"Here," I mumble, handing her the bag that was dangling from my neck a moment ago. She stares at it with her eyes wide, and it takes her a moment to snap out of it and take it from my hand.

I look around the room. On my right was her bed, where she was sitting, and on my left was her desk, where a large computer monitor dominated the surface. I sit down at the desk and swivel the chair around to face her. I take off my sweater, hot from the tree climb. As she comes back into view, I see her gazing at my exposed stomach from when I pulled off my hoodie.

"Like what you see? You can touch it if you want," I tease, winking.

She's surprised by my forwardness. Why am I such an arrogant åss? Finally, she responds, "Is your belly button supposed to look like that?"

I look down at my stomach, now self-conscious. Tammy one, Silas zero.

"What's this?" She holds up the Tupperware of soup, still warm from my third try. I stare at the container, unable to come up with the words properly. All morning, I sounded like an asshole to this girl. I was either too cocky or just over-flirty. Is that who I am? Is that what she'll think of me?

"Um... it's soup. Chicken bacon noodle soup."

"Isn't it usually just chicken noodle?" She holds up the container and examines the pieces inside.

"Yeah, but you were hungover," I answer, then looking at her, I continue, "I guess you're not anymore, but who wouldn't want bacon in their food?"

She nods, and as she stares at it, I catch a slight smile on the corner of her lips and it makes me feel warm inside. I can tell she didn't know what to do now.