The next morning I wake up a little later than I usually do. Around ten o'clock, the sun is shining in my eyes and I feel liked I've been electrocuted awake. I lay there for a few minutes before deciding to get up before my whole day wasted away.

I stand up from my bed and move to my dresser, taking out a blue long sleeve and sweatpants to go with them and walk to my bathroom and take a shower, which takes about ten minutes and I hear my mom yell into my room as I begin to blow dry my hair.

"You alive in there?" She asks as I switch off the blow dryer.

"Yeah, sorry, overslept," I say and brush my dark hair as I step out. "I'm starving." I say to her and she smiles.

"I made Cinnamon rolls this morning for you and I made a pie for the new neighbors." She says and I frown, I'm just learning about new neighbors. "Wanna go? I'm nosy and I want to check them out." She says.

"Sure." I say and smile. "Do I have to look better or put on shoes?" I ask her and she shakes her head and dramatically sighing. I put on shoes anyway.

Soon, we are standing in front of their door and my mother knocks. A lady opens the door and I realize I should have stayed home. Instead of turning and running away, I stay. He isn't going to be here, he is at his dad's. Or at least he should be. Shouldn't he? Please let him be there. David's family had moved in next door. I'm suspecting it's due to his declining health.

"Hi, I'm Ellis Chase and this is my daughter, Emily." My mother introduces us and I wave at her, not able to use my words.

"Hi, I'm Joy." The lady says. "Oh! My son is around here somewhere, he came home early. Calum Thomas!" She yells and I feel my spirit drop. Great.

He pops up beside her and he narrows his eyes at me. "What?" He questions her.

"This is Calum." She says. "Cal, these are our neighbors! Ellis and Emily-"

"I know. This is the chick who takes care of David." He says flatly and looks at me. I go to leave but my mom grabs my arm and frowns.

"Don't be rude." Both moms say at the same time, his mom to him, mine to me.

"I'm going home." I say lowly.

"Why?" She says.

"I don't like him." I whisper and look toward our house, waiting for her to release me.

"You don't know me." He says and scoffs, crossing his tanned arms across his name chest. I scowl and cross my own.

"You don't know me, either." I say and pull away from her. I stare him directly in the eye and that seems to surprise him.

"Calum, what did you do?" His mother asks.

"What makes you think it was me?" He scoffs as he looks at her with defensive eyes.

"It's always you." Joy says to him and the look on his face is unmistakable. He was shocked that she said it and all he could do was look at me with wide eyes.

"Whatever." He stomps back into the house and you can hear a door slam.

"Emily-" My mother says and I shrug her off and keep going to my house.

***

My bedroom door opens and my mom walks in. She sits on my bed and I turn in my desk chair look at her. "What did he do, baby?" She asks me and I can't help but feel a little childish when she talks to me like that, and even more so when it works.

"He was really rude. He is David Hood's son, too. He made me leave yesterday, it was kinda humiliating. I don't know, I'm probably just just being a baby about it." I mumble, knowing it was probably true. He could just have been startled by someone he didn't know was there or been having a bad day and didn't want a stranger around.