18.

Long story short, I made Gorgy leave this morning because I didn't want to go to school. I felt like crap when I woke up and I knew very well that it was my own fault. God, Calum makes me so angry that's it's not even funny, but he wasn't entirely wrong. I sit at the bar with a bowl of soggy cereal in front of me. I just feel like today is going to be shit.

I have been given specific instructions since I am home. Mom wants me to keep an extra eye on grandma, every half hour, check in her. I don't know why, grandma is usually fine, but she wants it, so I must. I toss out the food and I step over Ralph, I haven't seen Douglas in a while, probably outside sleeping or under my bed. I walk up the stairs and I open the door to my grandmother's room.

She is sitting in her chair, looking out the window as she normally is. She has her head leaned back and she is sleeping peacefully. I take away her tray of bananas, a muffin and coffee. She stirs lightly and scowls.

"You scared me." She says and then smiles at me. She looks around, still smiling. "Where is Pop, my love?" She asks. She does this from occasion, before it sinks in again. But, the look of realization doesn't come today. "Gone to the store?" She asks, she shakes her head, a disapproving look on her withered face. "Damned cigarettes are gonna kill him, I keep warning him. Will he be back soon?"

"Uh, yeah, mum, soon." I mutter, not knowing what to say. I deal with the terrors in the closet, the boogie man under the bed or at the window. I guess this was a symptom I hadn't dealt with yet.

"Okay, go on then, I'm watching my shows." She waves me away.

"Are you feeling okay, mum?" I ask her softly.

"Yes, Ellis, stop bothering me." She says and I look to her TV screen. It's off and untouched, but she stares at the screen and I quickly leave.

"Okay, I love you, mum." She smiles at me.

I walk downstairs and call for Douglas out the door but I don't get anything back. I sigh in defeat and shut the door again, hoping he will then up soon.

I walk downstairs and see my phone on the counter, the screen lit up and messages displayed.

Calum:
Where are you?

Calum:
Em

Calum:
Emily what the hell?? Hellloo??

Calum:
Please answer me. Your friend says you're pissed at me

Calum:
I'm sorry, Emmy

Calum:
Fuck just answer me please

I roll my eyes as I read them. I didn't think I was really mad at him. Partly with him and partly with Gorgy, He told me he likes me, and then insinuated that he lied. He really tests me.

Emily:
I'm at home. I'm REALLY busy being alone rn and did you know you can send all that in one text??? AMAZING right

Calum:
Wow

Calum:
What a time to be alive
*sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell*