26.

Friday, I sit in the Auditorium with the rest of the highschool as they work out their 'lacking a proper commitment and spirit to do anything productive in this hellhole,' as the vice principal says and saunters away.

Two preppy girls and Whitney stand in the stage. "Okay! Let's get started!" The first girl says, I don't know her name, something long and her last name is Wu. "Volunteers for the fundraising committee?" All around me, hands shoot up and some groan. I consider raising my hand. The more things I have to do, the less time I have to think.

"Dance committee?" The second girl asks. Her face rings no bells in my head, but she must know everyone else as she scribbles down names. I lazily raise my and for this, what better thing to take my mind off of things than organizing a dance. She smiles and does a small jump. Damn cheerleaders. "Today after school gather in the gym."

Finally, Whitney steps up, less enthusiastic than her two gal pals. "Our Town's annual parade is coming up, we need floats, decorations, a band." She says. All around hands shoot up, especially the four boys sitting beside me. Ashton elbows me to raise my hand and I do, sighing and leaning on my other fist. "Great," She says and sighs. "Sunday. Three o'clock." We are all dismissed to lunch, since the assembly took second and third hour.

"Why did I need to join the last one?" I ask as we walk down the hall.

"You paint like a pro. We need that for that float thingy. We are going to be on."

"Why did you guys join? You don't exactly look like the type." I ask.

"They need a band." They all four say at the same time, which is a little terrifying.

"Yeah, okay." I laugh and walk on. As I walk down the hall, Charlie and Gorgy turn the corner and walk in front of us, not noticing us. I fall back between the boys and Calum scowls at the two. I look over at him and he just looks away. I can tell that when I thought he was using me, it wounded him in a way I won't understand, just as it did when he said he wasn't good enough for me.

"Em?" He says softly. I look back at him and he holds out his hand, which surprises me slightly but I didn't object his request. I take it slowly and lace our fingers. He bumps into me lightly and he smiles as he talk to Michael. I try to keep the girly smile off my own face, but I fail. I hate it when it's like this between us, we fight but it's never made it awkward.

We sit at the table and I spot Lyle alone in the back. I miss him, Ashton does, too. I miss Gorgy, but not the Gorgy that has shown herself the past week or two.

I stand and I walk over to him, silently sitting at the table. He looks at me with a surprised face. "How is it going being a lone duck?" I ask him.

"From the way you are and how Calum is, I can almost ask the same thing." He says and I chuckle.

"Yeah," I say and sigh. "Why don't you come sit with us?" I ask him.

"You know why." He says and looks down.

"So you won't hurt someone who doesn't care about either of us anymore?" I say and he sighs, looking at her.

"I can't do that to her. I just can't." He says and I nod. I understand, but I hate it.

"When you can, and want to, we miss you. She made it clear she doesn't care. She's sending her new friend to try to break me and Cal apart." 

"That's her new boyfriend, Emily." He whispers and I scoff.

"Why am I surprised." I say and I walk back over. Lily has appeared at the table, leaning into Ashton. I sit at the table and I smile at them.

"What did he say?" Ashton asks and I shake my head, mouthing the word, later to him. "Okay." He says.