"Mom, I am not a lady." I say and frown. "I'm basically a dude. I don't wear dresses or heels or any of that junk." I say to her in hopes to get her to change her mind. She smiled at the dress she presented and I almost felt bad to even attempt to turn it down, but as I just told her, I don't like dresses.

"Put it on and please look like my well behaved daughter and not my punkass daughter." She says. She hands me the blue summer dress and I look at it.

"It's just a barbeque, mom, these people see me all the time." I say. She gives me the do-it-or-die look and I groan loudly but give in. She leaves and I quickly put on the dress. It hugs my chest tightly and it is loose at the bottom. Long in the back, short in the front. I take my hair out of the pony tie and shake it out. It falls in waves over my shoulder and I shrug, running my fingers through it. It doesn't look too bad.

"Come in here, Satan." I say out loud and she enters and she smiles excitedly

"Aw, I've always wanted a daughter. You look so pretty." She says and I give her a funny look.

"You know, sometimes I wear skirts and stuff. I am a female." I say.

"Put on your shoes and let's go." I slip into my white vans and follow her out the door. The barbeque had been rescheduled for later on and later on had finally arrived.

As we enter the backyard, I cross my arms. Everybody here are adults or little kids. Then, I see the one guy my age. Calum. He looks over at me for a split second and then has to do a double take, which I'll admit makes me feel good. He raises his eyebrows at me and smirks. But from the way he stands and the set of his jaw, I can see he isn't happy. "Great." I mutter.

"Well, hello," He says and walks over. "Did not know there was a normal girl underneath all that fake emo." He says and I smack his arm. He chuckles softly. "You don't look comfortable." He says with a matter of fact attitude.

"I'm not." I say and pout.

"But, if it makes you feel any better, you look beautiful, so that's a plus for the rest of us here." He says and I blush.

"I guess." I mumble, slightly pleased with the comment but still uncomfortable.

"Oh, don't be a baby, Em, it's just a dress. You don't have to wear it for too long." He says, elbowing me.

"You wear this thing." I say. I'm really not happy about wearing it. What is my mom thinking?

"Is that an option? Because I'll wear anything that would make me look that good." He says and chuckles. He sits down on a bench and pats the spot next to him. I sit beside him, smoothing the dress over my pale legs.

He does look good. Black skinny jeans and a white shirt with a few of the top buttons undone. His famous snapback on his head and his sunglasses on. Never in my life have I ever had the urge to pull it all off like I do right now.

"Hi!" His mom says and walks over. My mom stands next to her, they are best friends now. "How are you, Emily?"

"I am fine, ma'am, how are you?" I say polity and Calum chuckles into his drink beside me. She glares over at him, so do I.

"Oh, hon, call me Joy." She says and smiles.

"Okay." I say and they both wander away.

"Miss Emily Chase. Poster child for manners and niceness." He says, mocking me with a sick tone, which makes me mad. "Is that an act, or are you really that much of a suck up?" He asks me rudely and I cross my arms.

"Oh, I can show you suck up, you asshole." I say and he smirks, his eyes hidden behind his sunglasses and I wish I'd said something different.

"Any day you're ready to play, you know where to find me, baby." He says and stands. He walks away, leaving me fuming in my spot.