19.

Everyone is in the water except me and Melody, Luke's girlfriend. We sit in two chairs away from the pool. I never knew he had one, she doesn't go to our school, so she was a happy surprise. Apparently she went to school with Calum. I was dying to know things about him, to see him from a strangers perspective, but I wasn't sure if she would say anything. I certainly wasn't going to ask.

I have a plain black shirt over the bathing suit and she has the same, she seems cool enough. To have someone like me around made me feel good, almost not so alone. "So, you and Calum together?" She asks lowly, making sure no one else can hear but they are all laughing and splashing around.

"Uh, no., I say and laugh nervously. "Sometimes I can't even tell if we are friends. I do like him, though."

"Yeah, I get that. I've known Cal a long time. He isn't a people person, he takes pride in being a prick to everyone. He hasn't really liked anyone, aside from Missy, he just steers clear of that. He isn't a bad guy." She says and I perk up at the mention of a girl.

"Who is Missy?" I ask her.

"Oh, he liked her, but she was an evil bitch who tore his heart apart so he ended that. He doesn't like talking about it," She says then gasps, her eyes wide. "I did not tell you that. Just in case, okay?" I nod, but make a mental note of the unknown girl. It's hard to see Calum being manipulated by anyone. He seems so strong willed and too empty to let it tear him down.

"Mel, get in." Luke says in a whiny tone as he moves closer to us.

"No. Are you crazy?" She says and scowls.

"Yes." He says and jumps out. He walks to her and he lifts her up and she screams in protest.

"Luke. Luke, no!" She says in a warning time but he tosses her in and she yells. I giggle lightly as her head pops back up and she groans. He hops in and she splashes him. Calum crawls out and walks over to me. He dries himself off and then pulls me up and takes my spot.

"Calum," I say and he pulls me back down on him. "You're wet." I say stubbornly and he laughs, but it didn't quite reach his eyes.

"It could be the other way around, if you'd like." He says and moves his hands under my shirt. I slap his leg and he takes it back out.

"Ow, you bitch," He whines "That hurt."

"They could hear you, or worse, see you." I mutter to him and he chuckles.

"I don't care, do you?" He says and I lean back, settling into him, not caring about staying dry. I'm happy to have him like this.

"I do." I mutter as my faces turns red.

"I know, so for the sake of your puritan image and your friends, I'll keep my dirty little hands to myself." He says ruefully and I giggle.

"Okay. Thank you." I smile at him and he presses his lips to my arm, not to kiss me, just to touch.

"I guess your friends are cool," He says, sighing and resituating himself under me. "A lot better than the other friend you have." 

"Hey Em, will you toss me a beer?" Ashton asks and I stand, walking over and handing him one. He smiles brightly and his girlfriend swims up behind him, holding a finger to her lips. I smile and back up as she splashes him and jumps on him. I walk back over to Calum and he pulls me down on him again. I was also glad to see Ashton happy with someone. A strange ache grew in my chest as I watched everyone happy with someone.

I trace my fingers along his arms and I sigh. "Why do you hate Gorgy, Calum?" I ask him.

"I just can't stand her. She really pisses me off, and I like Lyle. Cheaters, too, they piss me off so that just adds to it." He says and I feel his body tense