Who Will Reign?

2 WEEKS LATER

"Oh, Greer. Rose is so sweet." I whispered to her.

Sitting down beside an open window, Greer held her daughter in her arms as we discussed recent events.

"Where's Stephan? I figure he'd be back by now?" She asked.

"I haven't received word from him, but Catherine did write to me about Charles' whereabouts."

"How is he?"

"Lost. Scared. At times I wish I could go back and help him, send Julius to clear his head. But then I look around and I see Mary, all I can think about is what Elizabeth might do when I'm gone."

"She'll be safe. She has James, Henry, and all of the men in his castle to keep her out of her grasp."

"I know, but then again...I can't leave tonight. The Queen of Scotland does have to be present for their engagement tonight. It's their way of celebrating it after the fight."

Grabbing Rose' hand, she smiled at me before turning her head to the other side.

"Every noble and foreign dignitary who could make the trip will be there," I whispered as I smiled at Rose again.

"Excuse me, Queen Eliana. Your brother needs to speak to you, right away." Our royal messenger said.

Striding into the study room, My privy council bows their heads as they leave and pass me.

"James, is everything all right?" I asked.

"We just received this correspondence. English troops are due to arrive here, in Edinburgh, tonight. They're coming for Darnley."

"Who sent this message?" I asked.

"Not your anonymous Watchman...this came from the English. They want you to know they're coming."

"Well, they don't divulge their numbers, but they really expect me to relinquish Lord Darnley peacefully. How can I do that to Mary?" I asked James.

"Elizabeth would not send troops onto foreign soil unless she was willing to risk a military confrontation."

"That's preposterous. She and I made a pact, we would keep the peace between both countries until I rule?"

"That's before you agreed to let Mary wed Lord Darnley."

"The pact was to take Mary's title, and I did. Now she wants the one thing that's going to keep her safe."

Walking around James and the table, I made my way over to the fireplace behind him.

"I didn't think Elizabeth would rally into violence so quickly. I sent a letter to King Agron asking for more troops, they are already across the Scottish border."

"Scotish and Grecian soldiers, do you think that's enough?" James asked.

"She only wants Darnley, if she wanted both of them she would have ordered more men."

"What about the celebration? Should we cancel?"

"No, guest are already on route."

"Then you need to decide if this marriage is worth it, because the English are coming tonight, and if you defy them...we might as well prepare the engagement as a beheading." James hissed.

"James!" I yelled.

"Enough!" Talia said as she came into the study.

"The both of you have been arguing but only one of you have an actual solution."