The Grandest of Diamonds

Walking down the streets of Stockbridge, Catherine, James, and I smiled and waved as people cheered for us in the streets.

"Well, I must say that all the parties for the wedding have drawn the most supportive crowds," Catherine whispered.

"Mary and Darnley have made quite an impression on my people, but they have overstepped," I whispered.

"I know I shouldn't be saying this but-"

"You are like a mother to me Catherine, anything you say I will take it as advice."

"I told you so..."

"That is not advice." I urged before laughing at her.

"Long before you came here, you knew that having Mary near you would cause tension between the both of you. And you assured her that the only way to keep her safe is by marriage, it wasn't long before she started to realize the man she wanted was the man she needed."

"Now they want me dead, great." I hissed continuing to walk the streets.

"You need evidence, Eliana. We will round up all the evidence we can." James as he walked behind us.

"Where is Mary?" I asked.

"Following Darnley behind us." He added.

"If you choose to discard her, out of my curiosity, how will get rid of the both of them?" Catherine asked.

"Are you asking me if I would kill my sister and her future husband myself or hand her over to Elizabeth?"

Glancing over at me, she smiled and nodded politely.

"...I would have to speak to Elizabeth, actually. I promised her Mary if she ever committed an act against my rule-"

"And she has."

"If I want Mary dead, I need evidence. And right now, all I have are letters she tried to smuggle out of Scotland and to the Vatican, I need more. I need a victim, someone who knows that she's always been this dark even before I reunited with her."

"I will order the find," Catherine said as we both stepped up to the podium and looked outward to the streets.

"So good to let the people see their queen..."

"What of the evidence from France? We could use those can't we?" James asked.

"Elizabeth already tried that, after Catherine came back from England trying to remove Mary forcefully." I hissed, before looking over at her.

"I almost did it, if it wasn't for the spy who told..."

Looking around at the people, I waved at the small children around me before they giggled and hid behind their parents.

"They love you, Eliana...you deserve to have their love. You've been gone for far too long." James added.

"Your majesty." Handing me a letter, I dismissed my guard before turning around to open it.

"What is it?"

"It's a message? Mary and Darnley have arranged a meeting with Cardinal Adomo-"

"Isn't that the same man who wanted you as Queen instead of Mary. Why would she be meeting with a man, who despises her?"

"I don't know...Adomo is loyal to the crown, always has, he was here for our parent's wedding years ago." I said to James.

"We will find out sooner or later. If abandoning this wedding is what you feel you still must do, then we will."