The Merciless

Casually walking the hallways, I turned the corner to the main grand room, where Darnley, David, and our royal conductor build Darnley's Coronation chant.

"Eliana! I'm glad you've come!" Darnley said as he ran over to me.

"Well, what do you think?" He asked me.

"Well you conditioned it for your coronation, it need only please your ear?" I asked seeing as her eyebrows furrowed.

"I need to borrow my private secretary, you may have him back after I finish speaking with him," I whispered glancing over Darnley's shoulder.

"David has been indispensable at planning my coronation. Thank you for allowing him to assist me." 

"Of course..." I whispered.

"I also wanted to ask you about Mary? Um...it's been nearly a month since our wedding, and I haven't been able to visit her chambers..."

"Mary has been traveling, Darnley-"

"It seems like she's been avoiding me. We're wed-"

"Which by all means plan your coronation, I don't have time to discuss your needs about my sister, right now. David, come with me." I say.

Walking out of the room, I heard David's footsteps follow me as we headed to the hallway outside.

"I've invited Lord Hamilton to court, in hopes that he will stay for Lord Darnley's coronation. As a powerful protestant, his families support is vital, if I wanted to protect my seat on the English throne against Darnley and Mary."

"What can I do to help?" David asked.

"There are issues that divide us. In addition to having a very strong claim to my throne, Lord Hamilton sent a marriage request to Mary, before she had already asked me to invite Lord Darnley."

"Ah...jealousy."

"It goes beyond that, a blood feud has long existed between the Hamilton's and Lord Darnley's family. If I wish to gain Lord Hamilton's support, it's best accomplished, without, Darnley around." I whispered.

"...I've arranged an itinerary for his guests when they arrive, I need you to keep Darnley occupied with...planning for his coronation, so that their paths never cross," I reassured him.

"I'll involve Darnley in every detail, no matter how small, so that you may focus on the large issue of politics." Seeing James turn the corner, I smiled at him.

"Thank you, I'll let Darnley know when the time is right." Excusing himself, he walks away just as James approaches me.

"Good news, Lord Hamilton has accepted your invitation." He smiled.

~

Standing beside a long dark wooden table, James and I enjoyed our afternoon tea while speaking of the matter of Hamilton and me.

"If the protestants and Hamilton agree to stand with you, it will prove to the world that you are a tolerant Queen.."

"Not including that I'm letting my half-sister live in the same castle with me, even after everything I know." I whispered, sipping my tea.

"Lord Hamilton is sure to tell his protestant ally about our meeting. Is it possible Reverend Knox would sit back and do nothing?" I asked.

"And let Mary take your throne with him by your side? Knox would be here if he could and behead her for you." James blurted out.

"What about Emily? Maybe she could ask Lord Knox if Mary has sent any letters out through his land?"

"You know, Darnley won't be happy when he learns that you've met with Lord Hamilton behind his back."