We're Stronger Together

Sitting beside Greer and Rose, I admired the way she looked upon her daughter. An admiration I don't know very well, since I didn't have a mother to look at me the way she is, and I don't have a daughter to share it with.

The sound of Rose's laugh echoed around the small gazebo outside of the castle grounds.

"She certainly adores her mother," I whispered.

"You know the feeling." She said to me.

"Yes, but I've only shared my love him my sons, not a daughter."

Glancing down at my hands, I turned the ring that was identical to the one James has.

"Thank you for returning to court, Greer. I'd lose my mind keeping this secret alone."

"Only you know that Mary is pregnant?" She asked.

"No, Catherine and James do, I told him before he left..." I whispered before stopping myself from saying another word.

"I was hard on you about James."

"Yes, but you were right. In trying to protect my throne, I...put my brother in a dangerous position that ended wit his banishment. I've only gotten word that's he's just arrived at English court from Elizabeth last night."

"How is he?" Greer asked.

"Good, he's staying at English court until I can figure out what to do next with Mary and Darnley," I added.

"...But now I fear there is a cost for everyone I love."

"Like something tall, handsome, and Scottish?" Greer spoke slowly, as she gazed up at the clouds.

If you are talking about Lord Bothwell and I-"

"Eliana," Darnley said as he came inside the Gazebo.

"I've been looking for you...I have news, from England." He said hesitantly.

"I'll leave you two alone," Greer said taking Rose with her and leaves.

"It's not public knowledge yet, but my friends at home in England are saying that my marriage has pressured Queen Elizabeth to take a husband, the Archduke of Ferdinand of Austria-"

"I know," I whispered.

"You know?" He questioned, walking around to sit beside me.

"I spoke to Elizabeth about, she said it would make a great foundation for me once I become Queen. A Protestant Queen married to a Catholic King..."

"But-"

"But what Darnley?"

"If Elizabeth marries the Archduke, we will lose our Catholic advantage." He added.

"We won't lose anything...the crown is already promised to me. Elizabeth has stated that my children will become the next heirs to the throne. Where are you getting at this Darnley?" I asked him.

Seeing as his eyes widen, the sound of Mary's voice echoes in the courtyard.

"Darnley! Oh, there you are!" She said walking inside.

"Eliana, how are you?" She asked me.

"Good, thank you for asking. And your child?" I asked.

"Still growing..."

"Good, well, I'm going to make my way back to the library. There are some business matters to be taken care of."

Standing up, Mary rises as well before bowing to me.