Part 40

Ian's POV

My mouth dropped open once I heard what Joe had to say. I didn't expect this at all. Just a while ago, I was thinking that he was involved in some kind of an illegal thing or whatever. But, that wasn't the case... not really.

"So, you're saying that you knew my mother." I said, trying to absorb what he said. How could that be? This life and that life seem so distant and different that I hadn't even thought that there's a connection somehow.

"Your mother used to work for me... back when I was experimenting with a small business before I took over the company." Joe said. "She had been a very good friend of mine. But, I never met your father."

"Okay...Can you just repeat how all of this happened?" I asked because I'm really confused and my world is spinning around.

"Your father was doing illegal business abroad and he got bankrupt and owed his 'organization' or whatever you call it a lot of money. They knew everything. His ...uhh..group was really horrible, you know, like those mafia you see in the movies... maybe even worse. They're trying to find you for some reason. Maybe it's payback or they want to recruit you. I don't really know. What's important is that I had someone put a stop to that. He was able to destroy everything they had on you. " Joe said quite calmly despite the fact that he let out some terrifying words.

I sighed... "And that's why you got shot?"

"No... that bullet was not meant for me but for the person sent to cover you up. But, this is good. They won't risk fighting someone like me. They'd be too exposed. Your father...well, he really-sorry for the word fucked up." He said. And I still can't believe anything that he was saying. I feel like I'm in a TV drama or something. But, this is really frightening. "

"I thought you didn't know my father?"

"I said I didn't meet your father but I know all about him. It's not like your mother and I lost touch." He said.

Ohh... I thought about my past all over again. Even though I was very young, I still remember everything so clearly. These were the same thoughts that haunted me before.

So... that's why none of my relatives came forward to help me. They must know what kind of mess my father was caught up with. They didn't hate me after all... I looked at my dad for a moment, still hoping that he would burst out laughing any second now and tell me that it's all a joke.

"Dad... if you were so near to that guy, they'd think that you're the one whose behind what that guy did." I said as the thought passed in my head.

"No... I was with other more powerful men at the time. They wouldn't. They have a lot of enemies. But, that's it. I just called in a favor. That guy was on a bigger assignment. They'd probably just forget about you." He reassured me, feeling that I'm going pale now.

"Why... why would you do that for me? Why risk your life for me?" I found myself asking. Joe stared at me for a moment. It just didn't make sense to me.

"Because you're my son." He simply said. He looked at me with those concerned eyes. "We'll talk of this another time. I think you need a break from all this."

I breathed deeply. "Yeah...I think that's a good idea..." I said as I walked slowly towards the door. This is so unbelievable. Was there something between my mom and him? That's the only reason I could think why he would want to risk all that for me.

My phone buzzed...

Hey Ian... Let's hang out tonight! I'm in the country. -D

Errr... yeah. Maybe I could use a distraction. I replied to Dianne's text and drove to meet up with Chez after her long day at work.