Part 53

Ian's POV

"Happy Birthday, Ian!" Cheryl smiled brightly at me as she brought me my birthday cake. I was really surprised when I got home and saw my friends here. I suddenly thought of my brother. It's his birthday too...

Happy Birthday, Erik. Thank you for looking out for me.

I followed his advice about keeping my distance. I agreed with him because I don't want anyone who's close to me now to be in danger. It's many versus one. I can't risk everyone I love for one person even if he's my brother. You might think I'm heartless but I'm just thinking about what's gonna be good for everyone. If he hadn't come to me and tell me to back off, I would have continued my plan to break him out. If our roles were reversed, I'd probably do the same for him. It's a hard decision but I decided to respect his decision, to just keep him... unfound. Now, I could only wish he would be safe and eventually live a normal life.

"Did you make a wish?" Cheryl asked me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah... Thanks!" I forced a smile and blew the candles out. The party went on for hours. James and Justin are here. Kimberley, Nicola and Sarah are here. Nadine was back in the US so she couldn't come. Lily is here. My old college and high school buddies are here and also some other close friends of Chez and some office friends I hang out with. And Ashley is also here.

The speakers were blaring with the hottest song right now and I started dancing with Cheryl. After a while, she stopped moving and looked at me in the eyes.

"What's up, babe?" She asked. "You seem to be thinking a lot lately."

"Oh... It's just work. Don't worry about me." I smiled to try and conceal the lie.

"It's getting a little hot in here. Wanna get some air?" She asked. Even though I'm in a shitty mood, I still can't help thinking how beautiful, adorable, cute, and lovely she is... which then makes my mood suddenly better.

I followed her to the roofdeck.

"I know who you are thinking of..." She said softly. "I'm sorry you can't be with him."

I just stayed quiet and leaned on the railing.

"I...I don't know how I could make you feel any better." She turned to me, her hair flowing with the wind. Her eyes told me she is scared and confused... just like how I feel.

"It's just... unfair." I sighed. "I can't help him without putting everyone in danger."

"They are really that bad?" Cheryl leaned on the railing just like me.

"I don't know what they're capable of. I mean, they're criminals." I said. "It's too complicated."

Cheryl just hugged me. She might be at a loss for words... If it was the other way around, I wouldn't know what to say too. But, I think I need her warm hugs more right now so I could feel better. I embraced her. I felt her heart against my chest and our hearts were on the same beat.

"I'll just have to accept this, don't I?" I said. "Or else I'm never gonna be able to live with myself."

My eyes started to tear up because I've given up. I'm no hero. I can't save my brother. The guilt is eating me alive.

"You have such a good heart, Ian. I know if there was a way, you would have done it. But, you can't win every battle. Please don't blame yourself for what has happened to him." Chez said as she rubbed my back. I breathed in deeply so I could stop the tears from falling and when I looked at her she had been crying too.

"Hey... It's okay." I wiped her tears from her face.

She smiled a little. "I should be the one comforting you. I just can't help it when I see you like this."