Chapter 30- Grit My Teeth

Mark-

They lead me to the main entrance of the hospital. They no longer have to drag me along. If anything, they have to carry me. All the fight has gone out of me. They leave me by the door with apologetic looks. I walk outside, but I have no plan.

I could take a cab home.

No. After having Sean over for so long, I can't go home without him, knowing that he's here, because of me. I can't look at those stairs without seeing him limp at the bottom. I can't go home and clean up that puddle of blood, sticky by now. 

I sit on the sidewalk, leaning againt the building, eyes closed. 

I don't care anymore. 

Next thing I know, I see someone standing over me, tapping my shoulder. 

She's wearing scrubs. 

"Hi. I'm Cierra, a nurse here. You alright, sir?"

"Uh, yea. Fine."

"Really? Because you don't look like it."

I stand up and brush myself off, explaining briefly my predicament. 

When I'm done, she smiles. 

"Jackass Jimmy."

I frown, thinking I've heard her wrong. "I'm sorry, what?"

"You had the privilege of meeting Jackass Jimmy. Good looks, great skills on the operating table, great money, no doubt, but an asshole all around. Complete homophobe."

"That would be him."

"Don't worry, I'll take care of this."

She walks inside, and a few minutes later returns, grinning from ear to ear. 

"What happened?"

"Oh, I just talked to his supervisor, who also happens to be my brother. You can go see him now, if you like."

I run up to her and hug her before releasing her, both of us blushing. "T-thank you."

She smiles. "Not a problem. I'll see you around, uh-" 

"Mark. Mark Fischbach."

"See you later, Mark." She walks back inside, and I stare after her, running a hand through my hair and taking a deep breath. 

What am I waiting for?

And with that question in my head, I grit my teeth and walk back inside.