This Ain't Another Love Song

Present Day...2001

Charlotte, North Carolina

    "This has to be the dumbest plan you have ever...ever come up with. Like, is this shit even legal? You know we are going to jail, right? I'm too damn sexy to be in jail looking like a bump on the damn log." Chatter. Bickering. Cursing. Complaining. With her eyes closed tightly to ease some of the stress on her temples, Danielle attempted to ease the butterfly feeling in the stomach by taking deep, calm breathes. With her best friend yelling in one ear and her conscience in the other, she was on the verge of having a major anxiety attack. 

    "Are you sure about this Danni? I'm your girl and whatnot but this ain't our type of scenery. How about we go back to the hotel and order room service?" Bria Wilson is the true definition of a ride-or-die best friend. No matter what obstacles the duo face on the daily, Bria is the peanut butter while Danielle is the jelly to their sandwich. What am I doing here? Danielle's eyes were painted on the front entrance leading to the extravagant event just a couple feet from them.

    "Danielle!" Bria handed the valet parker the keys to their rental car. Guests maneuvered around the women, dressed in nothing but the latest fashion trends. Placing a hand on her curvy hip, Bria struts in Danielle's eye sight, purposely catching her best friend's attention. "I know you are not thinking about going in there. Not only will you make a complete fool of yourself, bitch you going to make me look like Boo-Boo the Fool. For once think about your actions Danielle. You are a happily married woman with a caring man waiting for you at home. You my girl and I am only here to support you, although I really believe you are making the biggest mistake of your life."

    My biggest mistake is walking out on him, Danielle utters under her breath in a depressing tone. Taking a deep breath, with one foot ahead of the other, she found herself trotting in the direction of the event. In one ear, she can clearly hear Bria fussing and raving like a mad woman. Despite the sickening feeling in the pit of her stomach, the confused young woman made it a priority to confront her past once and for all. Danielle easily blended in with the other party guests, peering over her shoulder every other second.  She sensed someone watching her from afar.

    "I swear on holy water and a lit joint, I will break my foot so far up your ass if we make it out this fatal attraction type shit." Rolling her eyes for the umpteenth time, Danielle chose to sit in a vacant spot near the middle of the audience, leaning a little far back from the front of the venue. Celebrities from Aaliyah, TLC, Diddy, and Mary J. Blige sat on the front row imaging what pure gold represents. Admiring the scenery around her, an uneasy feeling soon crept down her spine like a slithering garden snake. The more Danielle recognized familiar faces from her past―people she knew through him, she suddenly broke out in a chilling sweat.

    "Danielle, calm down sweetie. I know how you get when your mind starts to race. Just take a deep breath and try not to have another panic attack." How can I? She wanted to say. How can I calm down when moments from now I am going to witness my only true soul mate marry another woman...a woman who is supposed to be my best friend? Gliding her shaky hands over her protruding belly for comfort, the soothing sensation of light thumps, like magic, eased the tension from their mother's aching heart. Dylan Karter and Dawn Kasey are the two miracle babies Danielle kept hidden from the world for eight agonizing more out of fear...fear that the world would soon find out the dirty truth about the demons she buried years ago.

    Ten minutes into the wedding and more guests shown, overcrowding the black and gold decorated ballroom. While all the seats were occupied, people stood near the back of the room, snapping pictures and carrying on. The groom and groomsmen finally made their appearance, looking like a million bucks. It took some prayer for Danielle to remain seated without getting noticed from her old friends. Devante, standing tall like a Greek statue, wore an unreadable expression on his face. He did not smile. He did not conversate with his friends. He just stood there...looking miserable.