New Beginnings

Part Three: Love and Acceptance

                                (2000-2001)

Charlotte, North Carolina

July 2000

Brooke

"You don't understand, this wedding has to be perfect. My flowers have to be flown overseas, my wedding dress has to be made in Italy, and the food, I don't want anything too greasy or unappetizing; I want something elegant. Fried chicken and collard greens is not elegant and it will not be in my wedding." So much has changed in five years. For starters, bitch I's about to be a married woman. Y'all indeed heard me correct. My lover, my best friend, my backbone, Donald DeGrate purpose to be last year on my birthday. I wouldn't call it a proposal if he just handed me the ring box, but being Brooke Washington, I happily accepted his proposal. Nobody is going to ruin my fantasy wedding. No-damn-body.

    "And baby...your tuxedo has to be custom made, the flower girl has to have real flowers, your groomsmen―make sure they arrive at the wedding on time, and as far as my bridesmaid, nothing but the best for my ladies; real fucking hair, long beautiful nails, eye lashes; everything has to be perfect." Did I mention that I am a bridezilla? I did not picture myself becoming somebody's wife, so yes, I am going above and beyond just to celebrate my future with my man. I am thinking a beach wedding in the Bahamas, yet, my annoying ass fiancé thinks otherwise. We drove to his hometown just to plan our wedding with his family. No offense on his family, but I don't need everybody and they mama's opinions about my wedding. Devante only did the shit because he is a mother's boy and his mother wants us to have our wedding here in North Carolina.

    "How about we start with the menu, and then work our way up to wedding dresses and flowers?" Mrs. DeGrate suggests, adjusting her glasses on her nose. Mama DeGrate is a sweetheart; the sweetest lady that I know. She does not like me at all. Seven years down with dealing with Devante, and his mother still looks at me as if I am a stripper or prostitute. I try to keep it classy around Devante's family because I don't want it to be any issues between us.

    Devante's grandmother adds. "Fried chicken and collard greens will be on the menu darling. As long as I am cooking for my grandson and my grandchildren, I don't give a shit what food you want and don't want." Yeah, did I forget to mention that the old hag doesn't like me either?

    "G-mama," Devante hisses, "we all need to compromise. Brooke, you can cater whatever food and deserts you want at the wedding, and my family will cook what I want. Simple as that."

    Really? "No, it is not simple as that Devante. When I think about my future wedding, I don't want to be walking around my reception smelling like fried chicken and collard greens."

    "Do you have something against my idea, Brooklyn?" Devante's grandmother, Sadie, crosses her arms across her chest, staring me down. The women in the DeGrate family are beautiful. Devante's mother looks around thirty while his grandmother can pass as forty. I will always have respect for the women in Devante's life. If I am a part of Devante's life, then they need to learn how to back the fuck off and allow me to take care of my man. It is not every day that Devante's mother come calling him complaining about how I can't cook and that he needs to date a woman who can take care of him. Like really? I take perfectly good care of Devante. Shit, the nigga is still alive and kicking. He ain't somewhere lying in the gutters dead. Yet, I keep my mouth shut and pray for sanity. 

    "No ma'am. No disrespect, I appreciate your opinion, but this is my wedding and what I say goes."

    I can feel Devante's stabbing me in the back with those hazel eyes of his. I toned my attitude down a lot over the years. I don't have to cuss a bitch out but I can still get my point across without the cussing. Devante jumped back into our conversation, not giving his grandmother a chance to respond. "That was out of line Brooke. All she is trying to do is help."