True To Self

"I love you...I hate you" -Mary

Harlem

    "Your results came back negative for STD, however positive in your urine sample. Congratulations Ms. Washington, you are seven weeks." Pregnant? How does an innocent monthly women's check-up turn into a goddamn soap opera? How in the hell did I manage to get knocked up...for the second time...by the same damn man?

    "Are you sure Dr. Delgado? Maybe the test was wrong, or you have my results mixed with another patient. Please, I can't be pregnant; you don't understand." How am I supposed to break the news to my girlfriend when she doesn't know that am I still fucking Dalvin?

    "I'm sorry Harlem, but the results never lie. Look at it as a blessing Harlem. Devan will become a big brother, and―"

    "You don't understand," I cried out, "I am a lesbian Dr. Delgado. My girlfriend doesn't know that I am having relations with my son's father. What am I supposed to do?" That was a stupid question for me to ask. I knew that getting an abortion is out of the question. I am not Brooke. I don't believe in the shit, I don't got money for the shit, and honestly, I wouldn't feel right giving my baby up for an adoption not knowing Dalvin's response. Jayda finally moved down to New York with me, and...well, I appreciate her company, but I do feel smothered whenever she is around. I can't go to the bathroom without her on my ass, I can't simply take out the trash without her wanting to follow behind me. And let me not get started on her "step-motherly" roles towards Devan. My baby can't do shit without her complaining about how he is too loud, too hyper, or too whiny. I don't even allow Dalvin to come see his child out of respect for Jayda.

    "You are a grown woman, Harlem. Excuse my language when I say this, but it is your responsibility to stay true to yourself, and then think about your children. Your children are your number one priority. Whatever situation you have going on with your girlfriend and child's father is no longer your concern. You made that bed, now lay in it. It is now time for you to start acting like an adult Harlem." Between Dalvin and his multiple fucking personalities and Jayda's annoying ass, I'm not sure what my next move is.

    Dr. Delgado performed an ultrasound to confirm that I am seven weeks along. She gave me my important paperwork; prenatal prescription, sonograms, and even a bullshit ass pamphlet on abortions. Since Devan is in daycare and I took the day off, I called Dalvin and asked him if it was okay if we met up somewhere to talk. He told me to meet him at the spot; another term for 'studio'. I arrived in a little under ten minutes. I followed the heavy stench of marijuana and cigarette smoke to the last studio room. When I popped right in, Dalvin was parlaying on the sofa, JoJo was in the sound booth, K-Ci was eating...as usual, and to my surprise, no Devante in sight, and...

    "Bria?"

    Look at what the cat dragged in from hiding. I haven't seen or spoken to Bria is two years. She changed her number on me, moved out of our apartment in College Station, and the hiefa did not show up for my graduation. I am relieved to see Bria, on a count that the bitch is still alive. However, if I wasn't pregnant right now, I would've bitch slapped the silly hoe for the stress and worry she has caused.

    "Harlem? What are you doing in New York?" I stood there for a second and watched as she walked from the other side of the room and into Dalvin's lap. And Dalvin sat there and allowed the Stacey Dash lookin' tramp to sit in his lap.

    "I should be asking you the same thing." The scenery looked like something off an old western movie. Bria and I simply stared at each other in shock. I have every right to confront the bitch for pulling that disappearing act. I didn't want to blow my cover, though. Dalvin wants to walk around and pretend that he doesn't have any children. I am not the bitch to bash his in front of his friends about him being a father. That shit is too easy. I do want to see his reaction when I tell him the good news.