In My Feelings

"Sometimes...you got to let go and trust in God" -Devante

April 1995

New York

Devante

"You look like a damn fool." I clowned Dalvin as he appeared in front of us wearing an all-black tuxedo. I ain't gone lie; lil bruh looks fly. His hair is freshly shaved, got his lil curls shinning and shit.

    Dalvin shot me an unease look. "I'm ready to get this shit over with. This whole idea got me all unease, like I gotta shit or something." Today is the day. Jodeci's video shoot for our single Love U 4 Life. It was my idea for the video to be a wedding scene. It is logical. Mary and K-Ci are going through some shit. JoJo has too many damn women in his life, and Danielle did not want to be the leading lady, out of respect for Puff, so it was Dalvin and T-Boz or nobody.

    "Y'all always tryna jinx a nigga and shit." Dalvin spat, pouting like a big ass baby. "Why I gotta get married? You know I break out in hives and shit when I get nervous. I'on want Tionne to get the wrong idea. I ain't the marryin' type and―"

    "Quit acting like a punk." Danni smacked the back of Dalvin's head. "It is a video shoot, you idiot. If this was an actual wedding, yo ass would've been passed the fuck out. You seriously need to relax."

    Dalvin mugged her. "Aye now woman, keep yo hands to yaself. And secondly, why you ain't doin' the video then? Since you and that big bird ass lite brite ass negro all lovey-dovey and shit?" Since Danni and I decided to give this relationship a chance, we've been on each other like a sideline chick lookin' for commitment. Danni still ain't gave a nigga no play, but it's cool. I have temptations like a muthafucka. With her sleeping in my bed, butt ass naked at night kills me. She ain't letting me taste the ocean or nothing.

    "Because...nosey bastard, I didn't want to."

    Dalvin smirked. "You expect me to believe that Princess? Or are you afraid yo lame ass boyfriend gone find out?"

    Danielle sized Dalvin, not falling for his foolishness, "You know that I am not with Sean anymore. And my man happens to be your brother, so go run with big mouth to K-Ci or JoJo. Out my face." She dismissed him by shoving her hand in his face. Dalvin stood there speechless. None of his women talk to him to Danielle does. The shit turns me on too. Once Dalvin was out of sight, Danni turned to face me. "I have something to tell you Devante."

    Aww shit. Whenever a female approaches my ass with the long ass sigh following the 'we need to talk' route, it ain't ever good. "It is nothing major, I just wanted to discuss what happened the other night at the hospital." Whatever Danielle has to say about her weak ass nigga getting his ass beat, she can kill it. We all know Puff is a weak link. Dude gotta be seen with an entourage of security and shit; like the nigga the fuckin' president. Dude ain't shit but a fuckin' pussy; real talk.

    "What is there to discuss Danielle?"

    "Well...I do own half of Sean's label. I work with him side by side; which means I am going to be around him all the time. If we are going to make our relationship work, I need you to understand―"

    "I get it baby," I said to her, cutting her off on purpose. The last thing I want to do is stand here looking like boo-boo the fuckin' fool. I admire Danielle for being an independent woman. She was all about her business the moment she stepped foot in Uptown Records. It's a little fucked up that my woman is working alongside by fuckin' enemy, but I got to respect her hustle just as much as she respects mine.

    Danni took one look at me and sighs heavily. "No, you don't Devante. You are just saying that. You have your own record label baby. Which means you constantly have to deal with artists, their work, their image, and how their image fits with Uptown. The difference between me and you is my artists are on the radio, they are making appearances, performing on their own tour, traveling across the globe just to do interviews; my job is hectic Devante. If we are going to be an item, you have to understand my view on business."