Then Comes the Storm

Danielle

March 2001

Manhattan, New York

    "I am tired of being pregnant. Like...all I want to do is walk around naked without looking like a fucking whale! Is that so damn hard to understand?" I enjoy being pregnant. I do not like the changes my body is going through, however, I do love waking up every morning to my babies kicking me. I would not trade that feeling for nothing. I do thank Devante for the sperm. I wish that we could co-parent. We are both stubborn as hell, and no, I have not tried to reach out to him. I need to, though. I am the childish one and what Mary said to me that day has been haunting me. Devante does not deserve the way I've been treating him. It's fucked up. I only wanted his ass to hurt and feel the pain that I felt the day I walked away from us and what we've built together all these years.

    "Shut the fuck up and sit down somewhere. I swear Danni, you make a bitch not want kids!" Bria came waltzing into the family room with a giant bowl of mixed fruit and two bottles of water. Yes, the same broad who was stealing from me. I am the person who somewhat forgive and forget. This is the same person that was there for me when I had nothing the day I moved to college. Whatever I needed, Bria had my back. I was wrong for turning my back on someone who was crying out for help. I forgave Bria for the shit she was doing. And finding out the truth about Brooke and Nathan not only hurt me to the core, but it also disgusted me. How the fuck is this retarded bitch supposed to get married when she is already married? Hell, to make matters worse, I am still married to the nigga. I am in the works of getting a divorce, as soon as they serve his ass with papers.

    "I am being truthful." I told her, accepting the water. "My pun-pun hurts, my ass hurts, my titties hurt, I can't sleep at night, I can't find my damn feet, and I am tired of being this emotional ass whale." Giving me a side eye look, Bria grabbed the remote that was in my hand, changing the channel to one of music video sites. Coincidentally, Love U 4 Life video by Jodeci, was playing.

    "What your ass need is some dick. Good lord Danielle. Pop up on Devante at his wedding, fuck him silly, and y'all asses can drive off into the sunset for all I care. Just please...shut up with all that damn complaining."

    "Don't make me pop your ass in the mouth. And for your information, I am not trying to be at Devante's wedding one, looking like a damn whale, and two, staring at the man I love marry someone who used to be a friend. Nah, I'll rather watch A Thin Line Between Love and Hate until I recite that damn movie from word to word."

    "You need some type of clarity Danielle. Sitting on the couch all day will not bring you that comfort or confirmation that you want. I mean, if you are trying to crash that man's wedding, then if I was you, I'll be somewhere picking out a dress and some shoes to wear." Bria is right. I'm not sure what I want to do. A part of me wants to crash that muthafucka and righteously claim what is mine. However, I am not the bitch to cause a scene and break up someone's relationship.

    "I'll think about it, but until then, help a sista out and help me finish the twins room. These babies will be here any day now."

Devante

    "I seriously can't believe you are making me go through with this bullshit." JoJo stood before me wearing an unsatisfied look on his face. We are back home in NC getting fitted for our tuxedos. I ain't happy about the shit my damn self. My life is in fucking shambles. Shit, me marrying Brooke ain't gon' help solve my issues in life; it's probably gon' make shit worse.

    "He's right." K-Ci grumbles. "We look worser than what we wore in our video with T-Boz in it. I ain't tryna look like a fuckin' clown in public and shit. It's bad enough your peanut headed ass makin' us makin' our asses watch you make the worst mistake of your life." My "supposed-to-be" wedding is exactly a week from now. I ain't too thrilled about it. My parents are being supportive, although I know they would rather stay at home than watch me suffer. My kids ain't allowed to attend the wedding. My baby mamas on some other shit, so I ain't bother reaching out to make them reconsider.

    "Y'all asses stay complaining." I tell them, checking myself out in the full-length mirror. No lie, my cocky asses looked dapper in my tux. "Can y'all just be my brothers for one second and be there for me. That is all I ask for."

    "And we been begging your conceited ass to go holla at Danielle and make shit right with her," Dalvin points out, "but no, you never listen to our asses."

    "Why you always bringing up Danielle? She obviously made her decision long ass time ago."

    "So-the-fuck-what?" JoJo exclaims, fumbling with his tie. "That's sis right there. Her ass always been there for you when you needed her to most. If you ain't gon' be man enough and reach out to her, then we will."

    "Reach out to her for what, tho? Cool we got lil Devante's runnin' around the place, but she ain't bothered to reach out to me, so why should I?"

    "That petty shit don't matter D. You've been fighting for that woman since '93. Fought Puff and Static over her. Both of y'all done shit to each other but y'all did the shit out of love. Sis even carryin' yo big headed ass babies. You need to wake the fuck up and ask sis to marry her, if anything she will kick yo ass and then say yes."

    "Man, I am not about to have this conversation. I love Danielle and I do want to be with her as my wife. She does a lot of back and forth shit that I ain't cool with. I am a grown ass man playin' these kiddy games with Danielle. I'on got the time or the energy to waste towards that bullshit."

    "And you would rather marry a sneaky ass, conniving, trash pussy ass female whom your own parents don't even like?" I couldn't say too much. I don't expect for the fellas to understand my stand point. Dalvin and his lady Tammi are going through their own little issues, JoJo and his wife are a goddamn mess, and K-Ci is the nigga version of Hugh Hefner.

    "Look bruh, brother to brother. If you want to marry that girl, then I will fo'sho be there to support you. If you later on decide you want to sit down and have that conversation with Danielle, then I am here to support you. Whatever that it is that you want to do, we got your back bruh." That's the issue. I don't know what the fuck I want to do. Danielle is my dream wife. I want to grow old with her and have children and grandchildren. Danielle's mind ain't on the level that I am on. Brooke...I don't love her but I do have feelings for her. She ain't wife material but she proved herself worthy over the years.

    "Well his ass needs to shake some moves...and quick. I ain't 'bout to be caught dead wearin' this shit."

    Smacking my lips at K-Ci's skinny ass, I replied, "Say somethin' else fly and you gon' be showin' up to yo own funeral. Go make yourself useful and help me get in contact with Danielle. It's time for me to make shit right with my lady."