Until We Meet Again...

"Success...never has a happy ending" ―Devanté

New York

January 1993

    Success is a privilege, but becoming a legend is honorary. In my degree of success, I am making a name for myself. Thinking back on my childhood I knew I was different. I grew up in a two-parent household with my siblings; the ordinary American dream. My family was different. In my neighborhood, either your parents are dope fiends or religious. In my case, my parents kept us at church seven days a week. I remained humble and blessed to even make it out the hood alive. I could've fell victim to the street life. Either way, my mother wasn't having that.

    Success has its rollercoaster effects. Some days I feel unstoppable, while others I often question my career. Jodeci...to me...is just a name within four young men on the come-up. Without Cedric, Joel, and Dalvin, there wouldn't be Jodeci. And if it wasn't for my brothers for partaking my dreams and agreeing to go with me to New York, there wouldn't be Jodeci or Devante Swing.

    "You shouldn't talk like that. You only have one life you know." I remember telling her. That one distinct face that has haunted me for the past few days. Her complexion―like a tall glass of chocolate milk; my favorite beverage by the way. Those natural brown almond shaped eyes are hypnotizing. One look in her eyes and I lose thought. I had my fair share of women in my past...and present, but none of them are worthy enough to slow me down. People label me as the "pretty boy" type that occasionally flirt with one too many women. I can't deny that. Being a part of the dopest R&B act since New Edition and Guy; the New Jack Swing Era.  I love the ladies and I can't deny them. What people don't know about Devante, is that Devante works first and party last. I'll rather hibernate in the studio seven days a week, four weeks out the month, twelve months out the year just to witness my progression over the years. I refuse to walk the streets on my hometown as a failure. That is not an option.

    "It is my mouth...MY mouth...not YOURS. Therefore, I can say what I want to say and you can either deal with it or not." That mouth on her is what drew me to her; besides her beauty. Every female that has crossed my path fell to their knees and kissed the ground that graced my feet. Females knew to shut the fuck up in my presence. I am no woman beater; however, I am not a man that tolerates a disrespectful woman.

    "What I will do is sit down next to you...whether you like it or not, and get to know you. How about that?"

    That mouth on her was an issue. And I liked it.

    I remember her rolling her eyes at me, as if I was getting on her damn nerves. That didn't stop me from making my move. Disregarding the people surrounding us, I politely took a seat across from my beautiful Mona Lisa of a woman.

    "Is there a reason why you are here...at my table...talking to me, like there aren't other women surrounding you?"

    I nodded my head in agreeance. Being surrounded by beautiful women is tempting. There is not a better feeling than being in the arms of a real woman―a woman that I am in the search of finding, and hopefully, one day making Mrs. Donald DeGrate Jr.

    "Why are you so concerned about another woman? As a woman, I feel that YOUR initial focus need to be on yourself, rather than another woman ten feet from here?"

    "First off, I am not concerned about another female―"

    "―I second that. You seem angry. Why are you angry?"

    "Who said I was angry?" She questions, still in an angry tone. "If anything, you are annoying the hell out of me―"

    "You shouldn't cuss." I said, rudely interrupting her saying. I only did it to get a reaction out of her. She squints those beautiful eyes of hers, while clenching her teeth together. "A woman is to never drink, smoke, nor cuss in my presence. That's a pretty disturbing habit."