My Guilty Pleasure

Devante
February 2001
Atlanta, GA

    "I ain't spendin' all my money of that bullshit. Like damn Brooklyn, I told yo hardheaded ass I didn't want a big ass wedding." Taking a look at the three-page guest list, I immediately tossed that shit out my face. Shit is stressful beyond means. Our wedding is March 14 at my hometown, Charlotte, North Carolina. I ain't too fond about the shit. I'm just ready to get it over with. We are currently having a little get together at Dalvin's house to celebrate the success of his new album. He paid to fly our parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins to Atlanta . Quite frankly, I needed this little vacation. Unfortunately, I was not able to get rid of Brooklyn's ass. The woman is literally glued to my hip. I'll rather drink a beer with the fellas and discuss sports, while she wants to talk my ear off about the damn wedding.

    "And I'm tellin' your amnesia havin' ass, I want everybody on that list at our wedding." I broke the news to my parents about me still marrying Brooklyn. Pops had nothing to say; of course. He would rather hang with Derek and the kids than to have a manly conversation with me. Ma...she told my ass that she was not helping me plan the wedding and walked the fuck off. No-damn-body is happy about the news. I expected Dalvin to be a little understanding. Shit, the nigga slapped the back of my head like I do his peanut head ass.

    Snatching another beer from the cooler, I opened the bottle and guzzled half before coming up for air. "Let me tell you somethin', you embarrass me in front of my family, I promise you, I will leave your dumb ass at the altar. I'll promise you that." Leaving her dumbfounded, I walked back into the house and towards the basement, where Dalvin and the other fellas were. When Dalvin moved to Atlanta, he transformed the lower level of his house to a mini bachelor's pad. Lil bruh have the pool table, mini bar, a couple giant TV, a projector, and for some strange reason, a stripper pole. As the kids run around outside, the women gossip in the kitchen, I made myself comfortable in one of the leather chairs with a glass full of Whiskey; yeah, that old school shit.

    "What you doin' lookin' like a sad ass puppy?" My usual crew, Dalvin, K-Ci and JoJo approached me with beer in their hands and a joint lit. I shouldn't be drinking. I wasted all that time, money and energy at that fuckin' hell hole for nothing. I mean, not really nothing. Seeing Danielle brought life to my heart. Shit, she is my life.

    "Why y'all always comin' over here startin' shit?" Looking at the three, I snatched the blunt from K-Ci, immediately inhaling the drug into my system.

    "'Cuz we can." K-Ci smartly replies, playfully mushing the side of my head, taking a seat next to me. This is the only free time K-Ci and JoJo have,
since they are in the middle of their European tour.

    "Wassup idiot?" JoJo snares. "You know I'm planning on ditching yo wedding, right? I would rather go on a date with Wendy Williams than to watch you make the biggest mistake of your life."

    Cutting my eyes in his direction, I sucked my teeth out of irritation. The fellas have it hard on me because they want to see me with Danielle. I do too. The shit Danielle pulled was uncalled for. Hiding an entire pregnancy from me was hurtful; hurtful to me and my family. Ma running around tellin' my family that Danielle keeping my baby from me. Now my peoples' questioning me about what I'm going to do. Honestly, I'm going to let Danielle do her. She will come to her senses eventually.

    "If y'all comin' over here to talk some senses into me, get in fuckin' line. I already got ma in one ear and Brooke and her bitchin' in the other."

    "Good." Dalvin snatches the blunt from my fingers. "Y'all two idiots deserve one another. You know that bitch ain't doin' shit but spendin' yo dough and stealin' yo dough."