chapter nine: the proposal

"the proposal"

"the proposal"

teegschwendner

teegschwendner

"ugh...this guy," you scolded under your breath, carefully arranging the pastries in the display case."he's stressing me out...how long does he need to think about it?"

your hands moved on autopilot, muscle memory guiding you while your thoughts remained fixated on him.

a week had passed since your last conversation with levi, one that had left you hopeful. but still no answer from him. worse, he had been coming to the café almost every day since then, ordering a single cup of tea, then sitting there—just scrutinising. no words, no explanations, nothing. it was driving you insane.

"hey, (y/n)!" lima snapped you out of your daze. your coworker leaned over the counter with a teasing smirk."so, who's that handsome guy from your school that keeps coming in? is he your boyfriend or something?"

you nearly fumbled the tongs, heat rushing to your face."who? levi?" shaking your head quickly, you refocused on the pastries, letting your hair fall over your face."it's...complicated."

"complicated, huh?" she quirked a brow, clearly enjoying herself."well, whatever is it, you've noticed how we've been getting more female customers lately, right? i swear, every girl in town is showing up here just to catch a glimpse of him."

you blinked, caught off guard.

"wait, what do you mean?"

she leaned closer."oh, come on. all those girls pretending they're here for a latte? they're here for levi. we've had, what, three new regulars this week alone? the guy's a magnet."

you glanced at the café entrance, your heart sinking at the thought. his visits were drawing more and more attention, and if girls from school started showing up too...it would be over.

"great," you whispered to yourself,"as if he isn't already making my life complicated enough."

right on cue, frieda popped out from the kitchen, laughing softly."but let's be real—he only ever comes in when you're working. i don't see him hanging around on my shifts," she teased, her eyes glinting with curiosity.