21: Damning Evidence

Finn and Rollins return the next day and prepare to go over everything with Chief Dodds. He arrives shortly after 9 A.M and Rollins begins the break down of information we most recently received "we're calling it pattern 17. Now, the DNA proves that one perp matching our New York M.O. Committed three rapes in five weeks down in Atlanta in 2008."

Finn adds on in his usual Finn manner "the brainiacs had the pattern and didn't even know it. They didn't even look for six years."

"Any matches in codis?" Chief Dodd's asks us.

"Nothing. Not even familial." Carisi answers. "The DNA does show that he's white male of European descent."

Dodd's doesn't like what he hears "which is fairly usess. You're checking matching M.O. s in other states?" He asks a follow up.

I take this one "yeah, hey may have struck in Vegas, possibly Milwaukee."

"You get DNA from those cases?" He asks now.

Benson explains "Milwaukee has a backlog about a mile long, and Las Vegas doesn't know if they've even tested the kits or not."

"What worries us is, this guy goes on sprees." I tell him.

Benson continues "and he's in the middle of one right now."

"You talk to the vics in Atlanta?" He looks over at Rollins knowing she was there.

"Just one, and she said that he likes to sing church songs and at he may have used a pager." She tells him.

"Sounds like a cost-effective trip." He says with his arms folded, not happy with what we have.

Benson closes her open mouth and turns to him "look, we've got this, chief. It's just legwork."

"Try to put some shine on it before tomorrow." He tells Benson, going to leave.

"What's tomorrow?" She asks him.

"The compstat briefing on the pattern 17 rapist." He tries to hide a large smirk. "You're in the hot seat, sergeant."

Once Chief Dodd's is out of the precinct she directs her attention to us "Let's get on this you guys, we need more. Carisi, Rollins keep going through Vicap and Cotis. Grey, stay on top of Milwakee and Vegas." She leaves as we begin to move to continue our work.

The next day while Benson is at her briefing, we get a call about another victim. I ride with Finn to the crime scene, meeting the others there. We get the break down from the officers on site "she's 12. She was walking her dog and was grabbed. The dog bit the perp before he could actually rape her." The officer exclaims.

"Wow, wow. Slow down, she tell you this?" Carisi asks him.

I nod to the two of them as I begin to walk away "I'm going to ride with her to the hospital!"

I get into the ambulance with the little girl and they shut the door, beginning the ride and prepping her. "What's your name sweetie?" I ask her, taking a hold of her small shaking hand.

"Ryann" She mutters through the mask on her face.

"Ryann, you are so brave, do you know that?" I tell her. Her eyes are still stained with tears but she tries to put on a small smile for me "You're going to be just fine sweetheart. I'm here for you." I encourage her. I know I can't get a full statement without permission so I just try to keep her calm during the ride and talk about things little girls like to talk about.

Benson comes into the room Ryann is with her mother and I. I go over to her and tell her as much as I was able to get without formally interviewing her. "Ryann, can you tell my friend here what you were just telling me?" I encourage her.