23: Family is Family

Another two weeks go by without hearing anything about Doyle and his escape. I decide not to call anyone from the BAU or my father, knowing they'll contact me from now on if anything comes up. We just wrapped on a case about a girl found in a suitcase, drugged and left to die. It was an intense one, but cleared up and the right person went to jail. Our unit is getting a little bit of backlash from the media, so Benson is on our cases more than usual to keep things going smoothly and making sure things are run by the book.

"Hey. Can I help you?" Sonny says to someone walking in. I turn to see an older gentlemen, his jacket and scarf covering a suit.

The man answers "yeah. Where's Nicky?"

"Who?" Sonny returns.

"Nicky Amaro." The man answers. It's obvious now to me, this man is related to him.

Benson introduces herself "I'm his sergeant. And you are?"

The man smiles "you're the sergeant? I'm the father."

Her face enlightens at the realization "you're Nick's dad?"

He steps closer to shake her hand "yeah, Nicolas."

"How are you?" She accepts it.

Instead of answering that question he compliments her "my son never told me his boss was so encantadora."

Benson brushes him off "okay. Why don't you have a seat and I'll let him know that you're here."

"Thank you." He takes a seat next to our desks. "Nick. What's your name?" He puts his hand out towards Sonny for a greeting.

Sonny accepts it "Dominick Carisi Jr. You can call me Sonny." His hand is released and he gestures over to me "and this my partner, Maddison Grey." He takes my hand and instead of shaking it he kisses it gently.

"Nicky never told me that all the women he works with are beautiful. Woowwee." He smiles wide and looks over to Sonny with a grin "how can you get any work done around here?"

Sonny laughs it off and stands, offering him his more comfortable chair. "I can't believe I'm meeting Nick's father. What a treat!" Sonny exclaims.

"He's a great detective, your son. We're lucky to have him here." I offer up as well.

"He's always wanted to do the right thing. My son, when he was just a kid he always had it out for the bad habits I had." His father shakes his head at the memories. "Like this one time, with my cigars." He looks to us as if we should know something about them. Sonny nods to him, I guess with some experience and I nod as well after, not needing a further explanation. "Well, some people roll them. He unrolled them!"

"Wait, wait, wait, how old was he?" Sonny stops him, laughing at the thought of Nick doing that.

"Five. Hand to God." Mr. Amaro continues "I come home, he's cutting up my montecristos. I said, "what are you doing?" He says, "smoking is very bad for you." We all laugh at the story, them 2 more then me. We all spot Nick emerge from the back and his father speaks up as he gets closer. "Speak of the devil. Nicky!"

"What are you doing here?" Nick asks, his voice stern with annoyance.

"Aw You see how he talks to his father?" He dad semi smiles, but goes on "I just come by. Just to say hello. To talk."

Nick breathes out for a moment "Yeah? Well, I'm working." He goes to walk around the desk, coming up behind me.

His father asks "sergeant, would you mind if I took my son to lunch? It would mean a lot to me."

Even from looking at Nick from in front of him I see him give Benson a look. She catches on and says "Uh, I don't know if now's the best time."

Sonny clueless to Nick's silent request adds "no. I got it. I can mop up with Fin."