34: Pushing

Once inside, Mr. and Mrs. Briggs sit together on the couch and begin sipping the tea their housekeeper put out. Sonny and I stand across from them on other sides of the room. " I should say I'm still not quite sure why you're here." Mrs. Briggs says a bit confused.

"It's called a welfare check. We do it from time to time, mostly with seniors." I tell them as kindly as I can.

Walter smiles back "I'm guessing that would be me, huh?" He winks.

Mrs. Briggs responds "oh, dear, did my husband's daughters call you?"

"They did express some concern." Sonny answers honestly "they said they weren't allowed to see Mr. Briggs?"

"This is one of those difficult family situations. Stepmother, stepdaughters. I'm sure it happens all the time." She tries to explain.

"I'm sure it does but actually, Mrs. Briggs, would you mind if we--" Amanda stands up and stands between Sonny and I "if we spoke separately? It's just standard procedure."

"As a matter of fact, I do mind. Walter and I don't keep secrets from each other, do we, Walter?" She says as she holds his hand and scoots closer to him on the couch, making this a bit more difficult then we hoped.

He answers her "not really, no. I humor her." He winks again at us.

"So what exactly did you want to talk about?" She asks us.

"It's pretty personal." Sonny tells them.

Amanda adds on "pertaining to your sex life."

Charmaine asks, shocked "and that's a police matter?"

Walter pipes in "79 and stiff as a varnished eel."

"A varnished eel." Sonny repeats his words and looks at me then Amanda with a weird grin on his face.

"My third wife took up with a bartender because I got distracted by my book on the pope

"My third wife took up with a bartender because I got distracted by my book on the pope." Mr. Briggs continues "now, you spend six months in the Vatican, and you'll see what happens to your testicles." He specifically looks at Sonny.

"Roman Follies, It was a wonderful book, sir. I read it in college." He answers, not able to control his complete fan boy moment, knowing exactly what he was referencing.

"Thank you." He responds.

Charmaine adds on "all of his books are wonderful."

"Okay, so Mr. Briggs, you're happy to keep your wife satisfied?" I ask him.

He answers immediately "well, of course I am. I mean, just look at her." He glances at his wife. "Moreover, I'm obliged. It's a man's duty to nature." She begins to blush. "A million years of evolution, you know." He continues on "oh, these feminists, they can preach and screech all they want, but until the day that a man suckles an infant and a woman goes out and hunts, and--" He starts to hesitate continuing and his eyes start to glaze a bit.